BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 14 Basic Training

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am developing a new CAD class for our school. I would like to use Archicad 14 student version. The tutorials they offer are for the more advanced user. Is there any basic training guides for 14. I see that the start edition has a good training program but I need something for 14. Any suggestions.

Gary
6 REPLIES 6
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Gary,

I believe the Start Edition training guide is perfect for beginners. It works fine in AC14. There may be some minor differences in what the tutorial prescribes vs. new features in 14 but on the whole the methods are the same. All of the interactive training guides are similar in this respect. Do not let the version label next to the guide discourage you from trying them out.

Here is a previous link in which I posted some resources that were helpful to me: http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=36111

Also, Tom Simmons' Step by Step book was very helpful. It is a few versions back but again on the whole the core concepts are there. http://www.cadgarage.com/nestbysttrgu.html

HTH
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your response Nicholas.
I have tried using the start edition with AC 14 but the SE training files cannot be opened in 14. I can use the videos and the PDF guide but I would have to manually set up the preferences/settings/templates that the SE files import.

I like your idea about using other versions' training and I am poking around with that now. I assume that the interface is basically the same from AC10 - 14 with some minor improvements.

Gary
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
That is interesting because I have download the SE training guide and it opens fine in 14. The general rule is that the full versions (... 13,14,15) can open start edition files but the Start Edition version of the software cannot read full version files. There must be a glitch in your particular case.

Some things to think about: Are you using a full license, education license, trial etc.? When you download and install the training guide package I assume that you are opening the .pla files within the guide's folders, correct? Do you receive an error message from ArchiCAD when attempting to open the files?
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Greg A_ Blunier
Contributor
I also have opened the StartEdition files in the full version of ArchiCAD, but the note on the download page for the training guide ("Please note, that these Training files can be opened only with ArchiCAD Start Edition. They are not compatible with the Trial, Education or Academic versions of ArchiCAD.") makes me suspect that you would have to open them in a full version of ArchiCAD (with a dongle) and save the files before you could open them in an educational version.
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full and ArchiCAD 7

Windows 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks guys, I am using the educational version and that is probably the reason. Kinda sucks that the students using the educational version are the ones that need the basic training guide.

Gary
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the 'Experience BIM' training guide is the one they recommend starting off with -

http://www.graphisoft.com/education/training_guides/

Then move on to 'ArchiCAD Essentials' when you are comfortable with the basics!
Learn and get certified!