Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 15 new features on youtube.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's some youtube clips on Archicad 15 new features.

http://emuarchitects.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/archicad-15-new-features/
181 REPLIES 181
sinceV6
Advocate
laszlonagy wrote:
Other element types have not been worked on in this respect.
Too bad. Had my hopes up with that one.
laszlonagy wrote:
I guess it would have been a huge task to implement this in case of all element types.
Yeah. My guess also. But only if you are coding without an eye on the future. And this may be done for the other tools as well as they are part of the main app code, but I guess the hardest task will be with library parts. How to find a way to display the result of operations without thinkering with the underlying GDL of the object -or adding PROJECT to the code-? Maybe it IS time to improve GDL or lose it.

Well... this is why many people say/know AC releases come in pairs... and know that if v15 improves modeling, then v15 AND v16 are for modeling improvements -a year apart- ; but if you ask me... is like knowing your car needs tires, and still you upgrade the engine.
Anonymous
Not applicable
GDL is useful to many. Keep it please.
sadones1 wrote:
GDL is useful to many. Keep it please.

Not in it's current form.

It's just not accessible to a vast majority of the people who use this program probably because most of them are trained to think and work graphically and not to do line coding and programming to create intelligent 3D objects.

We're architects and designers.
Not line coders and programmers.

There has to be a better way of making the intelligence and power of the GDL language accessible to the average user other than the antiquated and woefully outdated programming interface (even by modern programming standards).

Other programs and their developers have managed to find ways to allow their users to add intelligence and parametricity to their 3D objects without having to struggle with line programming or even scripting and the best example would be what the developers of Rhino did in creating Grasshopper.

Even GS biggest competitors, Autodesk have made creating parametric objects in Revit a more natural process and workflow than what we have to contend with in ArchiCAD.

Eventually GDL as it is, will just have to go, especially if this program is to evolve beyond it's current state.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I couldn't agree more on that one..
As an architect, you need creative tools, or tools that don't waste your creativity, and programing gdl is all but that.
I would love to see grasshopper parametric logic in AC, or at least some kind of plug in.

OT: People at AC forum always say how better modeling tools are not as necessary, because, they will never use it.
As an architecture student, I claim that it is essential, because that is the only way AC will have users in future..
Anonymous
Not applicable
GDL has own weakness and we can see how hard is to GS team to develope new features. So core of archicad is crashed by time and it needs rework.

Very easy to write down then to do it. We (all) expected more but time will tell...mybe some other software offers more, what we need...but thats hard to say cos in capitalism they will milk us as long as they can spending less resorces.

Im at ac13 at this time and i have allready working scheme for demolition plans, i was able to draw any roof in sketchup and import it in archicad if there is something i cant do in ac end so on, so i can say these updates will come wery nice to begginers of archicad, noobs other can live without them.

Give same ball to me and let say Michael Jordan guess who will win
But give me archicad 6.5 and give ac15 to michael jordan guess who will win

any update in our favorite software is good, i guess
Anonymous
Not applicable
Agree with NeckoFromSarajevo .
Years ago GDL it was an advantage of the Archicad.
I've always argued that GDL is not used to capacity.
They left this task to the independent developers or community users.
Over time users who knew GDL were bored to develop libraries. (even some enthusiasts on the Archiradar)
Graphisoft had to develop more advanced libraries.

Now because an more intelligent library was not developed and the lack of more efficient tool for interactive editing GDL - Graphisoft risk to fall behind the competition.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Very good points. Graphisoft is making a costly mistake in not providing a friendly user interface for crafting GDL objects and library parts.

As a customer I often feel handicapped as a designer because of the lack of appropriate library objects and the inability to make them easily myself. I'm currently working on a renovation project where I cannot find the objects I need to represent the existing building, Ill probably end up using
dumb 2D line work, invalidating the advantages of using Archicad. If I was a GDL wizard I could probably custom make what I need, but I'm not and I don't want to have to be. I'm a designer, not a programmer.

As for the 3D grid, I hope to be pleasantly surprised. As invaluable as the 3D window is I don't use it as my workspace. Maybe the grid system will change this.

I would much prefer that we could have multiple viewports, side, top, front etc to work with, like most other 3d design program.

But again, hopefully the new grid system will prove to be as productive as GS proposes.

A couple of other things now I think of it -

2d lines in the 3D window! being able to draw 2d guidelines in 3d space would be very useful and probably not hard to implement

A text history dialogue box. I want to be able to see a list of the last
actions that have been performed, invaluable for keeping track of changes made, intentional or otherwise! Am I the only person who has accidently moved or changed something only to realise much later on down the line. A text box record of each action taken that you can refer to quickly as you work.
Karl Ottenstein
strawbale23 wrote:
2d lines in the 3D window! being able to draw 2d guidelines in 3d space would be very useful and probably not hard to implement
Look for this in 15. Guidelines, grid, and more make working in the 3D window easier than ever.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
TMA_80
Enthusiast
I add my vote to a visual GDL editor and hense parameteric modeling interface ( as creating dumb GDL object is ultra-easy). I am glad that Graphisoft continue to provide new parametric objects but these will not fullfil all the Archicad user needs.
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
strawbale23 wrote:
Look for this in 15. Guidelines, grid, and more make working in the 3D window easier than ever.
But are these guidelines tied to the grid? You cannot draw various 2d lines in the 3D window with out the grid as far as I can see, you are tied to one plane/grid.

Or do the guidlines stay in 3D space even when you move the grid?

Like I say, need to hold off judgement till I try the demo and see how it works

Archicad is a very good product, I just wonder where they get these developement ideas??

Ive been following the forum for years now,I never seen anyone ask for these kind of tools. could be wrong. Id be interested to see a link to any thread that discuses implementing such a grid tool