Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 15 new features on youtube.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's some youtube clips on Archicad 15 new features.

http://emuarchitects.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/archicad-15-new-features/
181 REPLIES 181
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Correct.
There is no such new feature in AC15.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
Joseph wrote:
Hi,
Can I assume there is no In Place EDITING for complex walls like the new complex roofs?
As Laszlo said (no). But, to clarify, calling each or either "complex" is misleading. Only walls (beams and columns) can have custom/complex profiles. These are only edited in the Profile Editor. The revised roof tool creates an intelligent collection of planes, but there are no profiles involved. (E.g., still no ability to define roof edge conditions other than angle: no profiled fascia, etc.)

--

On the "trim to roof" intelligent connection - note that this is a new functionality that takes the terminology from prior versions to refer to a new, dynamic (associative/SEO) trimming to the trimming bodies of multi-plane roofs and shells. The "old" trim-to-roof functionality still exists but is now called "cropping" to reflect the more static nature of that type of reshaping.

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Architosh just posted a review of ArchiCAD 15. It is based on an interview with GS guys:

http://architosh.com/2011/05/in-depth-graphisoft-talks-to-architosh-about-archicad-15/

One thing that was new to me is at the very end:
We asked Akos Pfemeter and Tibor Szolnoki–ArchiCAD Product Manager–during our WebEx meeting if there were underlying modeling technology improvements that made the Shell tool possible. The answer? Yes!

Here is where ArchiCAD 15 gets interesting. ArchiCAD, unlike nearly all other major CAD/BIM players, has its own modeling geometry kernel technologies developed in-house at Graphisoft. These modeling engine capabilities first drew our attention when the company introduced MEP Modeler and we discovered how complex ductwork interactions could be created within that program. I asked Akos if these new modeling changes under the hood of ArchiCAD 15’s new Shell tool would “expand out” in future releases.

“Yes, the modeling technology behind the Shell tool is just the beginning,” he said.
This does not surprise us. The current trend in architecture and digital architecture these days is on the development of extremely sophisticated geometric form and intelligently-driven form or “smart geometry”–as in the advanced work and focus of the Smartgeometry conference. ArchiCAD 15 seems well positioned for its next stage of evolution.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Videos of the Shell Tool are now available:

http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/design.html

Or on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Archicad#p/p

On the right you can select the playlists to see all AC15 new features.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes we have a new toy : The Shell !
Good news for descriptive geometry volumes in Archicad .
Nice presentations on youtube .
Thanks !
Stephen Dolbee
Booster
I am excited about the new roof tool. Does anyone know if roofs in pre-15 jobs can be "joined" to have that same functionality?
AC19(9001), 27" iMac i7, 12 gb ram, ATI Radeon HD 4850 512mb, OS 10.12.6
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am not aware of any such functionality.
But you may find it surprisingly easy to recreate those series of single-plane roofs as one multi-plane roof, and then place skylights in it.
laszlonagy wrote:
Architosh just posted a review of ArchiCAD 15. It is based on an interview with GS guys:

http://architosh.com/2011/05/in-depth-graphisoft-talks-to-architosh-about-archicad-15/

One thing that was new to me is at the very end:
We asked Akos Pfemeter and Tibor Szolnoki–ArchiCAD Product Manager–during our WebEx meeting if there were underlying modeling technology improvements that made the Shell tool possible. The answer? Yes!

Here is where ArchiCAD 15 gets interesting. ArchiCAD, unlike nearly all other major CAD/BIM players, has its own modeling geometry kernel technologies developed in-house at Graphisoft. These modeling engine capabilities first drew our attention when the company introduced MEP Modeler and we discovered how complex ductwork interactions could be created within that program. I asked Akos if these new modeling changes under the hood of ArchiCAD 15’s new Shell tool would “expand out” in future releases.

“Yes, the modeling technology behind the Shell tool is just the beginning,” he said.
This does not surprise us. The current trend in architecture and digital architecture these days is on the development of extremely sophisticated geometric form and intelligently-driven form or “smart geometry”–as in the advanced work and focus of the Smartgeometry conference. ArchiCAD 15 seems well positioned for its next stage of evolution.

That's quite impressive.

I hope when they say that the new modeling changes would expand out in future releases, they mean that it will allow for the potential to convert forms created by the shell tool (which looks very flexible in the new videos) into other tools or building elements like Curtain walls.

This would allow for more creative facade designs as well as for more accurate and documentation in the 2D sheets without all the work-arounds.

Likewise I also hope it will be possible (in future versions, even if not in this v15) to use the shell tool to create custom library objects like tensile structures and canopies.

But in any case it looks good and sounds promising.
It seems or sounds like they leveraged some of the technology in the old MEP/Ductworks tool to expand ArchiCAD's native modeling toolset, which is one of the reasons I always think that they (GS) should buyout more of the third-party addons and plugins and integrate their technologies into ArchiCAD's main program making them available for more users.
In doing this I think they would also benefit from some of the developers of these third-party plugins who seem to be extremely talented when it comes to getting the most out of ArchiCAD's API to do more with the program than it can on its own out of the box.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Bricklyne wrote:
It seems or sounds like they leveraged some of the technology in the old MEP/Ductworks tool to expand ArchiCAD's native modeling toolset, which is one of the reasons I always think that they (GS) should buyout more of the third-party addons and plugins and integrate their technologies into ArchiCAD's main program making them available for more users. In doing this I think they would also benefit from some of the developers of these third-party plugins who seem to be extremely talented when it comes to getting the most out of ArchiCAD's API to do more with the program than it can on its own out of the box.
I have to agree that there is a certain amount of angst that we should either have to spend to get 3rd Party Addons or do in House development to do what should be readily available out of the Box. I have previously worked for a firm who stagnated in there Software Upgrades (Not AC should I say) because of what resources they had poured into in house development only to have it fall like a deck of cards when an upgrade rendered it near useless.

A lot of elements that are in products such as Cadimage & the like would or could be improved by becoming absorbed into the Archicad Product thus producing a more complete product. I am sure that the resources of these developers could then be utilised in the ongoing improvement of the product.

Aside from this little Issue I am suitably impressed with the direction and in the gradual improvement we are seeing with AC 15 but as I always say "The Devil is in the Detail" so can't wait to see it in the flesh for a test drive.
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
question for those who tested AC15:
when a shell element is appears on a section has a smooth or fragmented outline?
For example the section of a dome generates a curve or multiple straight segments?
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB