BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 15 new features on youtube.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's some youtube clips on Archicad 15 new features.

http://emuarchitects.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/archicad-15-new-features/
181 REPLIES 181
Anonymous
Not applicable
The only people who need be defensive of a particular software are vendors.
Users can get defensive because of their vested energy in a particular software. However it is a mistake to turn any vested interest into a vain ignorance.
I've used archicad all my career but am not bigoted about the software; quite the contrary I'm only too aware of it's weaknesses.
Actually while a troll is a nuisance I find an informed Revit user quite refreshing. Learning of the strengths and weakness of another software can be confronting. However again these are discussions much better served with informed users than marketing vendors. get past the hype to real world issues.

New version time is always another interesting season. I try not to succumb but often get depressed with the "gotchas" when actually using a new feature.

Let's embrace the other (declared or not) as a spur for something better.....
Petros Ioannou
Contributor
"....Oh, and my Dad's car is better than yours!!!!"

I think that all of you forgot that first of all we are architects and not software users.
I bet your clients don't give a *hit whether their project was done in Archicad, Revit, Architrion (?) or by hand, as long as they get what they asked for.
Imagine artists arguing whether its best to draw with temperas instead of oil paints... both can produce excellent results, each one with its difficulties but in the end it is up to the artist.
The sad thing with all CAD/BIM apps these days is that they steer the designer while it is the opposite we 're opting for.
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Anonymous
Not applicable
how i wish the arguments will make it a better software........
from my oberservation while viewing ac 15, i didnt notice whether the shell tool could also work like archicad's construction elements such as door, windows, slabs and others, cos if it can then its the greatest switch from gdl scripting. this means libraries can easily be created, svaen and updated( simpler and better way to revit families).
my summary, i hope the shell tool is parametric enough to act and relate with all construction elements without bugging and showing the right 2d display, then ac 15 is back with the smartest and fastest tool.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rob wrote:
....for Revit's inability to handle big projects as its connectivity via internet requires serious hardware and software boosting done by other parties. I am talking about a lot of money to get Revit working at the level that barely touches ArchiCAD's performance in Teamwork. For me this is fundamental because even I am a part of a small business Teamwork brought us flexibility and speed in terms of resources and production. ....
Maybe you should get your facts right. Revit IS handling some of the largest construction sites in the World so that is not a problem and as for Teamwork, I have Revit server and worksharing between 3 office here with absolutly no additional hardware. We are all running on Win7 64bit. It has not cost me a bean.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Petros wrote:
"....I bet your clients don't give a *hit whether their project was done in Archicad, Revit, Architrion (?) or by hand, as long as they get what they asked for. ....
Unfortunately this is not quite true now. The work I do for a University here demands we do our work in Revit as their MEP and Structural consultants use it as well. So if you are not using Revit you don't apply for that work. Simple as that.
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Redworks,

Yes, use the shell tool to make the type of geometry you need along with the slab, wall, roof tools, etc. and save it as an object. At that point the shell becomes part of the object and the flexible parametrics will still need to be done via GDL.

As for the shell tool itself, I have read here in the forums specifically that it will display correctly in 2D with or without SEOs.
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
NCornia
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
kiwicodes wrote:
Unfortunately this is not quite true now. The work I do for a University here demands we do our work in Revit as their MEP and Structural consultants use it as well. So if you are not using Revit you don't apply for that work. Simple as that.
kiwicodes,

Do you have any experience with the ArchiCAD IFC translators specifically for Revit MEP and Structure? If so, how much experience what were your impressions?
Nicholas Cornia
Technical Support Team - GRAPHISOFT North America
ARCHICAD on Twitter
Tutorials
GRAPHISOFT Help Center
Anonymous
Not applicable
how do i unsubscribe from this thread ..... ?
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
Maybe you should get your facts right. Revit IS handling some of the largest construction sites in the World so that is not a problem and as for Teamwork, I have Revit server and worksharing between 3 office here with absolutly no additional hardware. We are all running on Win7 64bit. It has not cost me a bean.
kiwicodes,

instead of arguing with you about nitty gritty details, read this. Revit uses a technology that chokes itself inherently with big data flows and a number of users (typically 5+ depending on the model complexity) in Teamwork-like arrangement, no matter what you do.

http://download.graphisoft.com/ftp/marketing/white_papers/GRAPHISOFT_White_Paper_Design_Sharing_in_B...
::rk
Brett wrote:

You can't be serious Bricklyne, first statement you have made that I don't agree with. Your starting to sound like the few Archicad users left who haven't a least played with Revit to see how good it is. And I know you have.

Personally, if I was a new user starting out now and looking for a BIM architectual program for my business, Revit wins hands down.

No addons needed just to get the basics. To just name a few missing in Archicad - Design options, Renovations/alterations, Revision manager, workable Stairs.

Also, for new users, learning resources, 100's of blogs that can teach all the not so obvious things Revit can do. Where's Archicad's? This forum is about the only resource available.

Us long suffering users have finally had the renovations/alterations phase included. How many more versions before the absolute basic things we need are included? For the majority, 11,12,13,and 14 were a waste of the Sub cost. Hence so many users aren't upgrading.

At least with Revit, out of the box, it is useable. In Archicad you need addons from Cadimage, Cigraph and Objective to get anything done. And then put up with there bugs as well as Archicad's

In Revit I can experience the satisfaction of making my own parametric objects the way I want, very easily. I don't have to wait for, pay for, and know GDL to get the same object in Archicad.

Yes Brett, we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

As you've correctly noted, I have used Revit, and as such my opinion is coming from an informed place.

Are there things that Revit does better than ArchiCAD (like custom parametric object creation)? Absolutely.

Should we be concerned about the relative pace of development of the 2 softwares and how Graphisoft seems to be falling behind while Autodesk considerably improve Revit every year? Without a doubt.

With all that said would I still prefer to use Revit or even conclude that it's a superior software to ArchiCAD?
Not even remotely.

When it comes to a user experience and User Interface (GUI) implementation, ArchiCAD still wins hands down over Revit. They have never been able to get away from that Pro-E (Pro-Engineering) background of the software that's rooted in a mechanical engineering design software and it tells just from the way the software works and feels (multiple dialog boxes just to get the simplest thing done, inability to work in perspective view in the 3D window with everything locked in Axonometric view, choking up on large project files and sizes and so on and so forth).
And they only made it worse with the implementation of the Ribbon which even their own users absolutely hated and which is a poor man's version of what's already existed in ArchiCAD in a more logical fashion for far longer in the tool information bar.

But the User interface and the workflow methodology are only a small part of it, as the fact that the program can't deal with large projects without beginning to choke as your project size grows and over-constraining begins to hog all your PC resources is yet another thing I hate about it.
And then there's the fact that it seems a program designed for people who can't think for themselves and have to have everything either automated for them (hence the over-constraining) or giving you limited ways of doing things based on a template developed by the programs developers.

In other words, it's not a program designed for creative people like designers and if anything it hampers and debilitates creativity massively.
It seems to be a program developed for technocrats and cogs whose only job is to come in a do the rote stuff and the unthinking mechanical tasks that don't involve using the right side of the brain.
Maybe that's why it seemingly (by some opinions, anyway) excels at documentation over ArchiCAD, rather than in design.
Well from my training education and experience, Architects are DESIGNERS first (with a heavy premium on creativity and flexibility) and Drafters/Documenters second (with a heavier emphasis on control, rigidity, and automation). And ArchiCAD has struck the right balance in creating the perfect program for people who are designers first and then having to translate those design ideas into standard documents second.
Which is why I can never ever conclude that Revit is ever in any way superior to ArchiCAD - despite all of ArchiCAD's flaws.

And all my banging on GS to improve the program is rooted in my long-term desire to stay with the software I enjoy using rather than being forced to learn and use one that I despise and whose user experience is akin to scratching a chalkboard with your bare nails.
It's not because I want ArchiCAD to be like Revit - but rather because I would much rather they find better ways to allow us the users to have ways of doing what Revit users can, without ruining the experience we currently enjoy and which they do not.

The addons are obviously unfortunate seeing as they seem to hamper development of the program by convincing the developers that they don't need to develop certain things in the program that are already available as addons.
But on the flip side they also give ArchiCAD users access to a greater array of tools to do things that simply can't be done in Revit. For example there's no Revit equivalent for ArchiTerra - inside the program or as an plugin. Ditto Virtual Building Explorer.
Learn and get certified!