Sustainable design
About EcoDesigner, Energy Evaluation, Life Cycle Assessment, etc.

Archicad 16 and PHPP?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi everyone,
I'm playing for the first time with Archicad 16 and I'm looking for the button to export data to the PHPP: where is it?

Thanks!

Enrico
54 REPLIES 54
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just found out that the PHPP-export feature is no longer available in Archicad 16, which - in my mind - is a huge step back for Graphisoft as far as business strategy.

What is Graphisoft thinking?

Do you really think that integrating EcoDesigner into Archicad would be enough for any designer who is serios about energy efficiency???
aahatimo
Newcomer
i hope that feature is just hidden, thought i saw that as a feature. if not, really a big let down.
please someone from gs let us know it is not so!
planning on going to the phius national conference in sept in denver and was hoping to be able to use / show that new feature.
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
As of yesterday, I started sending one tweet per day to Graphisoft, asking why they discontinued the PHPP export option. I am going to continue doing this until I receive an answer, which I am going to publish here.

I also posted the same question yesterday on the Facebook page of Archicad: again, no answer.
rjwilden
Booster
So what is actually new in Energy evaluation.
Other than a new way to input data, and having to place all the zones manually it all appears much the same. The report sheet is exactly the same as the previous version, So no added value there. Is it more accurate ? Who knows. Easier to use. Dont think so.
Richard Wilden Design. Ltd
Dunedin, New Zealand.
Imac 27" i9 3.6GHz; 32GB Ram Mac OS 11.3
Archicad V23:V24
Karl Ottenstein
rjwilden wrote:
So what is actually new in Energy evaluation.
Other than a new way to input data, and having to place all the zones manually it all appears much the same. The report sheet is exactly the same as the previous version, So no added value there. Is it more accurate ? Who knows. Easier to use. Dont think so.
I don't think much is earth shattering about it, other than it is free to all users now and built into ArchiCAD ... but yet there are still a few powerful things that the old EcoDesigner couldn't do - in particular, if you have a building on a sloping site, the new Energy Evaluation uses the site mesh to recognize the portions of walls that are below or above grade. There was no way to account for this in EcoDesigner which was an add-on, vs the new fully-integrated functionality.

Several other new things are shown in the videos here:
http://www.graphisoft.com/products/archicad/green.html

...and other new features are listed here:
http://www.archicadwiki.com/ArchiCAD16ChangesGuide#Changes_in_Energy_Evaluation

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl, I appreciate your optimistic answer.

In my mind, things look in a different way:

Withount any, ANY validation paper, EcoDesigner is worth NOTHING. It's just a greenwash add-on that designers with no energy evaluation background can now use to sell their design ideas without getting too serious about real building performance. Maybe I am wrong. Maybe EcoDesigner is extremely precise and powerful. Who knows? Who has ever proven that the result of the energy evaluation match reality? You can say it's more powerful than ever: maybe it is. The option to import custom climate data is a huge step forward, but towards what?

The ONLY useful feature of previous issues of ED was the PHPP export capability: that allows for big saving as far as data extraction from the BIM model and input in the PHPP spreadsheet. In my mind, this is the only added value to the whole "green" section of Archicad 16. Now that that is gone, I don't know if I'm going to spend time on it at all.
Erika Epstein
Booster
The EcoDesigner that in 16 is now part of Archicad can be a very useful tool to evaluate siting, skin options etc. It can be more precise depending on how much time a firm puts in to check that all the numbers are correct for their use.

Someone from GS mentioned the STAR version here. Ecodesigner Star which will be out later this year(?) is supposed to allow much more precise calculations. GS will also have to weigh in on which of the many global required standards STAR will be able to generate submittable data for compliance verification beyond what the basic EcoDesigner can achieve.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
... "precise" based on what?

Can anyone tell me what ED's calculation is based on? what standard? what ISO/ EN procedure? Do you seriously take the output of ED and base your design on that? Really?

I have yet to find any white paper validating EcoDesinger.

AC16 upgrade sounds to me like "do you want a preliminary evaluation tool? here's our greenwash toy for free (as in "at the normal upgrade fee"). You want something belivable, please pay more".

All this fuss about the a simple - but commercially very sellable - simple script to export data to an excel spreadsheet (PHPP).

Is there a way for me to learn how to create such a script to export to PHPP, so I can shut up and be happy?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I mean, the English version of the PHPP costs €150,00, how much can this EcoDesigner Star cost?