Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 19 - Is GS really listening?

rob2218
Enthusiast
guys....please, don't take this the wrong way. I've seen this video
https://youtu.be/bkABWv_zb1U
and it really bugs me.
I'll tell you why.
GS is focusing man-hours and designs on parametrics that, well....really AREN'T what the user needs......playground equipment?....really?

Geez guys...please, get a good set of working stairs. Get good working railings that can do more than what it's doing now. Get a good cabinet object that has the ability to do more.......THATs what we need folks....please...listen to your user base.

Here in the U.S....we don't care about 'playground' equipment being able to show a baby seat in the swing or not.....we need to have stairs that work well. We need to have stairs that you can have a "zero distance" between the up treads and risers and the lower treads and risers on a switchback stair!......those are the things GS should be focusing their efforts on!!!!!!!
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
. . . Here in the U.S....we don't care about 'playground' equipment being able to show a baby seat in the swing or not.....we need to have stairs that work well. We need to have stairs that you can have a "zero distance" between the up treads and risers and the lower treads and risers on a switchback stair!......those are the things GS should be focusing their efforts on!!!!!!!
I have seen several speak of wanting new stairs, hoping GS knows this by now, but have to say playground Eq. is not what most need when designing homes or buildings. We would love to see a new stair feature, as we continue to use the slab tool for stairs.
rob2218
Enthusiast
At least I feel I'm not the only one that wants new simpler more functional "stairs" and "cabinets" for ANY building for that matter.
I see GS adds here and there sprinkles of new cabinet types, like the cabinet object that has the option to add or remove ovens and leave the holes in place......but GS programmers...really, "playground" equipment.....?....that's parametric? Come on guys, FOCUS here...on what's "really" needed in the industry.

I've been told time and time again that the GS programmers are indeed architects but....I'm just not sure WHY they don't focus on the BASIC BUILDING ESSENTIAL PIECES......like....."Stairs"...and "Cabinets!" that work properly.
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218
Enthusiast
by the way.....here's how the GS 'out-of-the-box' railings....for example.....SHOULD be working. Stretch a node, the railings get pulled and adjusted accordingly, both in 2D and 3D manner.

Now these stair railings are simply amazing.

https://youtu.be/KYnFzxm3v6Y
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
Graphisoft is corporation and it acts like one....no eyes, ears and soul....

They are from Hungary and they don't understand English Their offices are on the planet Mars and most of their users are from planet Saturn so GS needed this improvements to satisfied people of Saturn...Who knows when they are going to check out what people on planet Earth wants....

GS is left the planet Earth long long time ago...

That's how i see Archicad 19 improvements....

Ground Control to Major Graphisoft....
Your circuit's dead,
there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Graphisoft ....
Can you hear me, Graphisoft ?
Can you....
Anonymous
Not applicable
rob2218 wrote:
by the way.....here's how the GS 'out-of-the-box' railings....for example.....SHOULD be working. Stretch a node, the railings get pulled and adjusted accordingly, both in 2D and 3D manner.

Wow! I did also see a tool for stair rails with newels and pickets on YouTube, but they don't list it for purchase on their site.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Don wrote:
rob2218 wrote:

Wow! I did also see a tool for stair rails with newels and pickets on YouTube, but they don't list it for purchase on their site.
Its through Turbosquid $20 a railing type. Tempted to buy I must say!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rlcosta wrote:
Don wrote:
rob2218 wrote:

Its through Turbosquid $20 a railing type. Tempted to buy I must say!
But I don't see the one designed by Bond Bryan Architects for sale-unless I'm missing something?
DGSketcher
Legend
Oh no, not the annual stairs issue again!!!

Yes the existing GDL out of the box solution leaves a lot to be desired but having tried to write my own GDL solution for a set of traditional timber stairs I can sympathise with GS's position. The number of variations, complexity of connections / framing and compliance with regional codes is no small task for anything other than a straight flight. I arrived at the conclusion that beyond a basic drawing representation there is a requirement for the modelling of components to suit the installation and illustration needs. GS could improve the situation by providing some parametric stair parts so that we can put together the stair we want and taking it a step further provide the ability to edit GDL objects in their own 3D window...
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
@Don Lee:

According to his websie Mario is still coding and working the railing with pickets and also another one which is the one is shown on the video as the Bond Bryan's design. I guess the reason those two are not for sale yet is because he is polishing the code. If you go to the site and read all thru you will find he explains it. Just search for 3D Media Design, I do not remember the exact URL.

In any case, those are the best railing objects I have seem around, so far.

@CGSketcher:

Totally agree with you, stair are a nightmare. But in this case the objects discussed herein are only railings, and the look to be very well done.

Regards,
D.