Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 19, Last selection active with copy and move

haidu_bogdan
Booster
Hi,
I realized now that in archicad 19, the last selection remains active whenever you do a copy or drag command. Is this changeable, can this be corrected. It's becoming very annoying for a software which promotes performance and speed as it delays most of my work.

Thanks,
Bogdan
11 REPLIES 11
Barry Kelly
This has been the case for a very long time (I just checked version 12 and that is the same).
There is no setting I am aware of to change this unless there is something in the Registry (Plist on Mac?).
It used to be (many years ago) that when you copied the original stayed selected and not the copy - I am glad that has changed.

The idea is that once you move or copy something you may want to do so again or adjust its position slightly if not exact.

Just click away from the selection to let go of it.
Make sure the 'Quick selection' magnet is turned off otherwise you may end up selecting something else (or use the space bar to toggle the magnet off when de-selecting if you prefer to leave it turned on).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
haidu_bogdan
Booster
Archicad 18 doesn't have this problem, and neither do 17, 16 from what I recall. For me this is something new.
Barry Kelly
So you are saying then before 19 if you were to drag a copy of an element that it would not remain selected after the copy but it does now in 19?

This is odd to me as no matter what I try it remains selected in all versions I have back to 12.

The attached is taken from the version 16 reference guide.
I am not aware of anything that will change this behaviour.

Barry.
drag_copy_2.jpg
Versions 6.5 to 27
haidu_bogdan
Booster
I somehow solved it.
It seems that a the command drag multiple copies has this new error in archicad 19. If I use the simple drag a copy command then I don't have any problem. If you say you had this problem since A12, then there might some differences between the mac archicad and the windows archicad, as I use it on windows.
It was very annoying at first as I always use custom shortcuts, and I even forgot that there were too copy command.
Too bad the multiple copies command got broken, it was much faster to use it when working. So now there are not keeping too their new motto completely .
Thank you very much for your help. I would report this bug, but I don't know where to do it. And I think this should be solved in the mac versions too.

Bogdan
Copy bug.jpg
Barry Kelly
The 'Drag Multiple Copies' when used from the pull down menus in 19 does indeed leave the copies and the original selected when you finish the command.
In previous versions only the copies remain selected - the originals are de-selected.

I hadn't noticed this before as I only ever use the keyboard shortcuts (start to drag and press ALT+CTRL).
This works as expected where only the copies remain selected in all versions.

The best place to report a bug is to your local distributor.
They should then help you to solve the problem (if you are paying the annual support fees) or pass it on the GS headquarters as a bug if there is no solution.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I report this as a bug to Graphisoft.
Both the Drag Multiple Copies and Rotate Multiple Copies command work incorrectly, regardless of how the command is invoked, by menu command, context menu command or keyboard shortcut.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
haidu_bogdan
Booster
This was the answer I got. It looks like it had been requested by many users.

"This change was made by purpose in ARCHICAD 19. So by now, ARCHICAD does select the original elements too after Drag a Copy, Rotate a Copy and Mirror a Copy commands. This was a wish of a lot of users, who needed to make an Undo then a Redo to select the original elements too."

I would've liked an option to change this back to the way I was used too. This was a bad move from Graphisoft.
I think I will put this in the wishlist.
Barry Kelly
I just tried on my laptop and original and copies become selected either through the menu or keyboard shortcut.
I could have sworn it was only the menu that did this on my office PC.
I won't be able to check it again for a couple days but I will try to remember to have a look when I get back to the office.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
haidu_bogdan wrote:
This was the answer I got. It looks like it had been requested by many users.

"This change was made by purpose in ARCHICAD 19. So by now, ARCHICAD does select the original elements too after Drag a Copy, Rotate a Copy and Mirror a Copy commands. This was a wish of a lot of users, who needed to make an Undo then a Redo to select the original elements too."
OK, then I will not report this to Graphisoft as a bug.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27