Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 20 Snap Guide Issue

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi I'm having a few issues with the snap guide tool in ArchiCAD 20 (never had these issues in 19).

ArchiCAD 20 always gives me a snap guide back to the project origin, sometimes a straight angle and sometimes and arbitrary radius guide. I can't think of any use for them and they just get in the way. Is there anyway to turn them off but maintain the rest of the snap guide features? Thanks in advance
12 REPLIES 12

Thanks for the reply, but it seems I didn't make my self understood!

First of all, I know perfectly well what Alt+A, or holding Shift does and I also know in which cases one is better than the other!

What I'm trying to say is that no matter how I do it, every time I hit Alt+A the snap guide goes to the origin!

I don't need a workaround for this! It's a bug and it needs to be fixed!

What I don't understand is why all of a sudden Alt+A stopped working for me?

Maybe is something I did but it can also be a windows update, I guess!

ArchiCAD 23
Windows 10
Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4110 CPU @ 2.10GHz
NVIDIA Quadro P4000, 8GB - 64 GB RAM

Well I did check this out in 23 and the only time I get the snap guide going through the origin is if I use ALT+A before I start to drag.

If I do it after I start to drag, it just locks the drag to that direction.

Maybe we are just doing something slightly differently, or you have a setting I am not aware of.

And I was recommending if dragging horizontal, don't use ALT+A, as you may lock slightly of horizontal.

If you are snapping to the horizontal snap guide then you don't need CTRL+A or SHIFT at all.

You never mentioned CTRL+A until a recent post, so I did not even think about it till then.

It is something I have never had the need to use in 20 years+ to drag something horizontally.

Maybe you will need to report this to your local support.

I am unable to replicate the issue and I have tried every setting I can think of.

Maybe make a video of it so they can see what is happening.

Hopefully they can even contact you directly and log into you machine remotely to test.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

I have used Alt+A extensively until it stopped working correctly for me, and I can assure you it is not something I'm doing wrong or differently than what you described! At one point in time, for some reason, it just stopped working the way is supposed to!

And trust me, in certain scenarios it cannot be replaced by just holding shift!

It's not like the command is indispensable but the fact that it's not working, forces me to use more steps to accomplish the same results!

Anyway, thanks for your time!

ArchiCAD 23
Windows 10
Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4110 CPU @ 2.10GHz
NVIDIA Quadro P4000, 8GB - 64 GB RAM