BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 21 roof edge display on plan

Chris Hough
Booster
Good day all!
We've started up a couple of new projects in Archicad 21 and I've noticed a few things in the interface that are troublesome. The main one that is bothering me right now is the way that roof edges display on the floor plan- unless the edge is perfectly vertical, you will see a double line that represents the top edge of the roof and the bottom edge IF that portion of the roof is not perfectly vertical. This is helpful in some ways for more complicated modeling obviously. But it also means a HELL of a lot of cleaning up to generate a roof plan.

While I've not tried it (just thought of it while I was typing the email) I suppose you could use a cover fill to hide those edges below (in theory), then use graphic overrides to make the cover fill disappear for modeling. While this might save me from having to constantly edit a roof edge every time I join it to another, I really don't like the additional graphical "noise" and clutter this extra line makes for a floor plan display. I've looked through various dialog boxes but have not seen a way to change it back to the way it used to look. (Also, we skipped version 20, so maybe this was something discussed in the previous version that I missed and was not aware of.)

Anyway, if anyone knows how to turn this "feature" off, I'd appreciate some insight. If it's not possible, I'd certainly request it for ay future versions.
Owner, Heritage Design Studio
AC 4.5-26
Maco OS Monterey | 2.4 Ghz i9 | 32Gb | AMD RX 6800 XT
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
Trimming one roof plane to another should adjust the edge angle automatically so you won't see it (Select one roof then CTRL click the other roof).
Just stretching nodes and edges will have no effect.

However in Project Preferences > Legacy there is an option to display single roof planes as the were prior to version 16.
This might be what you are looking for.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Chris Hough
Booster
Trimming one roof to another is what causes the roof to display as it does. I realize that one can go back and manually edit each edge to hide it, but this is very time consuming, especially if the roof is still in the design process, and each time it's adjusted to another roof the edge changes back.

I think the legacy aspect changes more than just the roof edge display- I'll have to go back and see what other things would be impacted (though if that's been a feature since version 16, I guess we've been running in legacy mode for a while now- switching to version 21 was the 1st time I've noticed this feature.) I was hoping there was a simple checkmark on the display options like changing line weight display or door and window views on plan, but at least there is something.

Thanks for the tip.
Owner, Heritage Design Studio
AC 4.5-26
Maco OS Monterey | 2.4 Ghz i9 | 32Gb | AMD RX 6800 XT
Barry Kelly
For me trimming fixes the edges automatically.
The legacy mode only effects the roofs and associated skylights (and it seems it was version 15 that multi-plane roofs came into being).
I believe this option will automatically be set if you open a file created before version 15.
With legacy mode you don't see the double edge.
It has no effect on multi-plane roofs - only single planes.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!