Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 24 Roofmaker FFI entry bug?

RandyC
Advocate
Cannot enter feet and inches or feet in Roofmaker is this a bug ?
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
I can confirm that the Roofmaker dialogs only allow entry in inches in the USA version. The foot symbol (') is ignored as is all other FFI abbreviations, e.g., 2-4 for 2'-4".

I'm not sure if this is a big or feature request, but am reasonably sure it will be way down on the priority list. Roofmaker hasn't really been updated in years (15 or 20 years?) and I'd be surprised if we saw a major overhaul. It inserts rafter (etc) objects, rather than beams, limiting it's use to dimensional wood (not even engineered wood/i-joist) construction. Data entry in inches is the least of its limitations. 😉
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl Ottenstein
PS. Sorry. It is a bug. vs a limitation, as data entry does work properly in AC 23. Somehow, without doing any improvements to Roofmaker, they broke the data entry.

AC 23 does indeed allow normal FFI input, e.g., 2-6 becomes 2'-6" but becomes 2" in 24. If Minh or someone from Graphisoft doesn't pick up on this thread, please report through the US tech support channel.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I will report it to GRAPHISOFT.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you very much for raising the issue!

I managed to reproduce the issue with Archicad 24 USA. Strangely, with Archicad 24 INT, Roofmaker accepts Feet & Fractional inches input. I'm not sure whether this is an issue with the template or with AC24 USA only, therefore I have forwarded the case to the development team for further investigation. As soon as I receive a conclusion I will post it here!

Thank you once again, and have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

I have received an explanation from the developer. There are some lines of code in the add-on which, depending on the localization, switches the dialog unit to inch for these wizard settings.

This explains why it couldn’t be reproduced in the INT version. I have registered the defect into our system (please refer to it as DEF-1200). Hopefully, this issue will be fixed soon!

Thank you once again for spotting the bug! Should you have any further questions, feel free to let me know!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT