BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

Archicad 25 Grasshopper Connection Crashing

hpattullo
Participant

Upgraded to AC25 today (along with the AC25 update for the Grasshopper connection) and found that my Archicad crashes every time I try to enable the link. As soon as the "receiving incoming API" dialogue comes up my program crashes, no matter what Archicad file and what Grasshopper file I am trying to connect. Have tried reinstalling Archicad, the Grasshopper link, and Rhino 6 with no luck. I had been using this feature for the past year on multiple projects with Rhino6/AC24 without ever encountering this issue.

Has anybody else experienced this and, more importantly, found a fix for it? 

Error code: AC25-2022-01-04-00-08-18-4110

15 REPLIES 15
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hello,

Thank you very much for the report and I am very sorry for the experience!

From the crash report, unfortunately we haven't been able to identify the cause of the crash. I'm wondering if there is a specific way to reproduce it? Could we somehow trigger the crash from a fresh Archicad project and a new Grasshopper file?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

hpattullo
Participant

Hi Minh

The error happens consistently with that particular Archicad file, however I have been able to recreate it with different files (though not consistently, as I have just managed to create a blank AC file and successfully link it to Grasshopper). 

Is there anywhere you suggest I start with troubleshooting shy that particular AC file would be triggering the error?

Hello,

Thank you very much for your answer!

As a start, could you please share with us the Archicad project file and the Grasshopper file that causes the crash, and how to reproduce it with these files? Please let me know if you will need a secure place to upload the file.

Thank you very much!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Sounds good,

Yes, please let me know where I can privately upload these

Hello,

Thank you very much for your help! I sent you a link via Private Message. Please let me know when it finishes uploading.

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Thank you Minh, I have just uploaded those files. The "wall' element at the beginning of the GH definition should be linked to a series of generic walls in the AC file in the layer called "2 | exterior screens - reference walls" (will be hidden by default in the generic 3d perspective). Typically, as soon as I try to link the wall object at the beginning of the GH definition to the Archicad geometry, Archicad will crash. I have tried turning off all the rest of the model geometry while doing this, as well as transferring my work to a new GH definition but it doesn't make a difference. I previously worked on this definition without issue last summer on the same version of Rhino/Grasshopper and with Archicad 24, so something has changed with the new version that has made my file unstable it seems

Patrick Thompson
Participant

Hi, Is there an update or any resolution on this? I am having the issue too. 

Patrick Thompson
Studio Pacific Architecture

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for the report and I am very sorry for the issue!

In the end, we found that the crash happens with the connection if a composite wall containing a migrated door is assigned. To reproduce the issue, the wall must be a composite and it has a door whose favorite has been migrated from previous Archicad. In some cases, redraw the wall or the door may help.

The crash was registered as DEF-7604. The crash is scheduled to be fixed in Archicad 25 Update 4.

I hope this helps you with the case!
Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Thanks, Unfortunately this issue is happening whenever I try to connect anything to grasshopper. E.g. a simple slab. Note I am running AC25 and Rhino 6 on an M1 mac. 

Patrick Thompson
Studio Pacific Architecture
Learn and get certified!