Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 25 PLN file size jumped from 20MB to 5GB

jakubc7
Advocate
Has anyone experienced this issue? I started my first v25 project from my own (rather clean and well maintained template - no missing / duplicate library parts, nothing embedded, no migrated libraries etc).

I spend couple of hours on the job, tracing an exploded PDF (no more than 500 elements, all lines, fills deleted etc).

I have drawn only walls, filled out project info, activated / positioned my survey point, story height and defined my sea level. When I went to save it took couple of minutes and I didn't notice until after that the file was syncing to my google drive at 5GB size.

I tried trimming all of the exploded PDF linework from the worksheet but that did not help. There are no unexpected libraries suddenly embeded. I want to do more troubleshooting but I have done so little to the file I cannot think what it could be.

I got around the issue by starting a new file and setting everything up once again. Copied all my walls and even copied the exploded PDF to a worksheet. Basically replicated the file and it saved at 20mb. See attached screenshot (right hand side is the new file, left hand is the original).

I am curious if this has happened to anyone as I cant afford to get too far into the project just to have it happen again.
ArchiCAD 10 - 25 | Windows 10
ARCHIcreate | Perth, Western Australia
archicad solutions | content creation | training | software implementation
22 REPLIES 22
RandyC
Advocate
It would be nice to know what is causing this bloating, did GS explain ?
my Reseller has not replied so I am waiting for an explanation here.
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
jakubc7
Advocate
No reason as to why it's happening ... I did ask but am waiting on reply.
I've been advised the FIX is scheduled for UPDATE #2.

Also the FIXED file I received back was saved in an unreleased version / build of Archicad so I could not open it with the most up to date AC25. I'm following that up as well
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear All,

Thank you very much for participating in this thread and sharing your experience!

The issue is likely caused by unnecessary Image3DSettings stored numerous times. Unfortunately, there is no concrete answer on what exactly happened in AC25 yet, or how the user can remove it manually. What still missing is a method to reproduce the issue from scratch. So far, we only know that after working for a while, the file size increases. If you happen to find a step-by-step reproduction, it would be extremely helpful for us to figure out what causes this issue!

The defect is recorded as DEF-6049. Hopefully, we will be able to fix it for Update 2 of Archicad 25.
For now, if you have a file that increases dramatically in size, please forward it to your local support/reseller, as it can only be fixed by our developers. @jakubc7, I hoped you have received the file with correct version by now!

Once again, I truly apologize for the inconvenience! Rest assured that this will receive our highest attention!
Thank you for your understanding!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

RandyC
Advocate
Thanks for your input mnguyen - I restored an older "smaller" template file
and was able to copy paste a couple of files back . However it is happening again
--- very frustrating --- I have files going back to Mid July that were bloated that all need re-doing.

Note /
Today I was in cross section window /copied a floor slab - then changed to a ceiling using favorites
(still in cross section window)
this caused a large delay - then a large file - hopefully this helps - let me know if you can reproduce
ArchiCAD 4.5 --- 27 , Win 10 , dual monitors, 64 gb ram,Nvidia GeforceRTX 2080 TI, I-9
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear All,

I would like to inform you some good news: the development has found the cause of the issue, thus, a fix will come in the first update for Archicad 25!
Thank you all for your big help during our investigation!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

RandyC
Advocate
well that is good news , but can you give me a hint to help me fix the 15 files that have been affected on my system.? Or somthing I should avoid doing to keep my files smaller ?
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Randy,

Unfortunately, we don't really have a recommendation of what should avoid. A developer found the root cause of the issue by changing the Trace & Reference on/off, but other workflows may also result in file size increase.

As of now, the only way to repair the files is to send them to our development. I hope that Update 1 will be finished soon so that we will have a tool to fix the issue available to everyone.

Thank you very much for your understanding!
Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

jakubc7
Advocate

For anyone else waiting for this fix, BUILD 3011 seems to address it!

Starting new v25 project now with a bit more peace of mind 🙂

• DEF-6049 FILE/SAVE: Unused view settings caused large file size increase.

@jakubc7 wrote:

For anyone else waiting for this fix, BUILD 3011 seems to address it!

Starting new v25 project now with a bit more peace of mind 🙂

• DEF-6049 FILE/SAVE: Unused view settings caused large file size increase.

Let's hope that is it.

Interesting, the update is available on the Graphisoft website (https://graphisoft.com/resources-and-support/downloads?localization=AUS&type=AC&version=25), but not when i check for updates through Archicad itself.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Yes, I tend to do a manual check as I've seen many updates available prior to actual release ... although they were always labelled as Early Release or something along those lines but not  this time.