BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 25 takes 5 minutes to change skylight settings

POTS
Booster

Hi all,

So like i specified in my other posts, we have big issues with archicad freezing and thinking constantly. We are working in a big project 24000m2. Until now i thought it was the size of the project (for sure it has an impact), but now when i am trying to draw a simple skylight using the skylight tool, archicad takes 5 minutes to change its size or go to its settings. Does anyone experience the same or can think about what can cause such behaviour ? I notice archicad i super slow as well with changing some zones. the rest goes quite okay.

AC 25 NED 6000 | WIN 11 | i9 + 32GB + RTX 2080TI
8 REPLIES 8

Hello @POTS,

There is no doubt that your file contains one or more elements to be corrected. I invite you to remove all SEO and hide the layers of all objects placed in your project. If you notice a better reactivity of your file then recreate all your SEO again but being careful not to generate superfluous actions and delete or replace your objects that consume too many polygons. To study this last track, I invite you to install the goodies of your Archicad versions to count the polygons of your project and thus find the culprit(s) !

AC25 Goodies : https://graphisoft.com/downloads/goodies/ac25

Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin

Have you drawn the project far from origin (0,0,0)?

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)
POTS
Booster

Hi Christophe, Lee, Thank you for your answers.

The project is located at the 0,0,0, further We have a few CEO and mostly a huge amount of objects. The poloygon count per se is not the problem, the problem is like Christophe said is the amount of background processing happening in Archicad (and sometimes not in competitive software). The SEOs might be causing issues but not something that should take modifying a skylight or changing a zone outline 5 minutes. I can focus my comment by asking :

1. what ways are there to -generally/globally- prevent archicad from over-processing in the background ?

2. could it be that there are some serious development flaws in my current version AC25 NED 6000 ? or even windows 11 ?

I am the BIM manager of our company, I know how computers work, I have a good computer, I know how to keep a lean file, I used different software in the past. I have tried many ways of optimising our file, but there's also a point of stopping blaming ourselves for the slow speed of the file.

Doing the current project for us (24,000m2) becomes impossible mainly due to Archicad 'thinking in the background' operations, I think its something for graphisoft to address, with all due respect.

It does seem to be a huge file but as you say, it shouldn't be stalling for 5 minutes when manipulating a zone or inserting/manipulating a skylight. Do you have a lot of externally placed images or drawings within the file that are present on screen that Archicad is continually trying to check for updates? We found that breaking links to externally placed images and drawings within the Drawing Manager significantly improved performance when opening a file, could this also because your slow downs? Are there lots of modules placed?

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

Hi Lee, thanks,

we do have referenced dwg's, but not in the specific floorplan I was drawing in, so not present on screen. They are also disabled (even as default) for updates. We have a few modules, and one facade file which is the source for overall slowdown because its quite detailed. Its basically a vertical louvers facade modelled with curtain walls which is quite big. While knowing archicad doesnt handle it well, it should. We are asked for facade drawings, 3D models, renders that need that kind of detail. Another thing when I think about it : curtain walls slow the model quite a lot, we tried also detailing the facade with profiles etc, but was also slow, multiple computers etc.

Yeah it seems a pain that some of these tools can cause such significant performance issues. Might it be worth setting up an MVO, just whilst you are editing the information, to set the curtain wall detail level to the lowest possible and then revert to the detailed versions when you are generating drawings? Does the simplified 2D setting in. the work environment affect curtain walls?

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)
Barry Kelly

Is Trace & Reference turned off?

That increases the processing Archicad has to do.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
POTS
Booster

Hi all, thanks for the replies,

setting the MVO and hiding layers helps for sure, but only for navigation, archicad is still doing a lot of operations in the background. Trace and reference for sure it turned off at all times.

Learn and get certified!