Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 25

Narska
Advocate
Where can I find a list of what new goodies we can expect in the next version of archicad?
Tomasz Mlynarski
New York based Architect
184 REPLIES 184
jl_lt
Ace
I mean really, in this age of real-time rendering which is absolutely game changing, this kind of pretty elevations are done just for self-congratulatory purposes as clients and contractors dont a give a **** about them.
Sunny75
Booster
jl_lt wrote:
I mean really, in this age of real-time rendering which is absolutely game changing, this kind of pretty elevations are done just for self-congratulatory purposes as clients and contractors dont a give a **** about them.
Actiually I am really happy with this functionality. Being an interior designer I really missed textured views wich is possible in Revit and Sketchup , not only for the sake of presentation but to give a better view of the materials used, in combination with measurements.. Great feature!
Jp1138
Expert
Sunny75 wrote:
jl_lt wrote:
Actiually I am really happy with this functionality. Being an interior designer I really missed textured views wich is possible in Revit and Sketchup , not only for the sake of presentation but to give a better view of the materials used, in combination with measurements.. Great feature!
I agree it´s a very good thing to have. But the version seems very lacklustre.

Any news in the Python front of things?
ARCHICAD 27 SPA
Windows 10
Podolsky
Ace
COVID pandemic doesn't mean total brain damage.
But I'll try to be as positive as I can.
Built-in survey point is a good thing. I can say 'finally' and breath out. If it affecting DWG export too, how article says on the web-site - this is very good. But why there is no support for national grid systems? All UK is using OS coordinate system - this is totally official here. Origin of it in La-Manche. You will not get from any surveyor drawings in international coordinate system. I guess in another countries there also exist national grid. Is it so hard to implement? Just to add several additional buttons!
Photo fills in sections/elevations. Great! But why I cannot control that via graphic override? It's absolutely logical to have one elevation and switch on off shadows, vectoral fills, colour, photo textures via graphic override and get drawings for different purpose - planning application, construction, presentation etc. Now with photo fills I need to keep additional elevation marker on plan. Only if graphic override can replace photofill with colour fill (same colour as was before) - then I don't worry about it. Interesting, if I override my fill with photo fill - will it remember original fill origin or nothing in this field been done? For example I want to have one plan showing wooden floor planks as a symbol fill. And another plan (for interior design and floor finish) with exactly same position, but photo fill. Is it solved now?
Okey, it's very nice kitchen cabinets. Much better then before. But why worktop is a part of cabinet? Anyone these days is using worktop as one piece and placing cabinets under. Is it so hard to understand and program? Or it's the same problem again - if I'm placing Slab as a worktop, switching off cabinets worktops and want to have kitchen sink - I cannot get hole for that in top of cabinet because I switched off the worktop and I don't have option to choose sink anymore?
Very good that graphic override now have RGB fills. But why fill itself cannot have option for RGB? I really don't understand that.
Exchange with Revit. It based on add-on developed by BIM6x. That worked okeysh but not really cool. For example elements created for Revit was not possible to modify in Revit. RFA files conversion was quite weak. Model could be too heavy and parameters from RFA didn't arrived to GDL. I'm expecting that it still like that.
It's OK to make linetypes interface better. But how about to introduce 3D linetypes?

That's my notes about it.
jl_lt
Ace
Sunny75 wrote:
jl_lt wrote:
i was taking more about shadows, but I agree, this textures on elevations coupled with shadows its a nice feature to have nonetheless and it will be of great help for the work you and many others do. I would like to reestate my comment to say that it is solely from my point of view and personal experience with my clients and contractors.
jl_lt
Ace
Podolsky wrote:
COVID pandemic doesn't mean total brain damage.

Of course, it shouldn´t be an excuse, im just trying to understand what happened.

I have to say that as a relatively new user (but not that new anymore), currently Archicad serves me perfectly well and any new feature is just icing on the cake. I can do whatever i need with it and, save some minor annoyances, is a joy to work with... for now. We plan to evolve, and i really hope Archicad comes with us along the way. My current main wishes for it are very basic stuff: an automatic dimension tool (which i have described somewhere else), better handling of layers and modules and save views and a few other functionality improvements on different tools. More advanced users have other needs and wishes. None of which are being addressed so far. Its clear now.

This is what worries me (it didnt before today). What is the strategy behind all of this? Graphisoft seems to be too worried about Revit while other companies who make BIM software are minding their own business (Vectorworks might be adding yet another new feature as im writing this). I really hope Graphisoft is trying to push Revit out of the way of architectural modeling and just leave them as a good MEP and structural modeler, which is what it really is. If that is the case its great, but can they? it seems risky and at the expense of alienating their user base; its much healthier to try to become better yourself instead of trying to make other people look bad.
Podolsky
Ace
I might say - it's getting for me clearly more and more - ArchiCAD is missing the point of ArchiCAD - as parametric object-oriented Virtual Building software. That means Virtual Building made in ArchiCAD must be completely parametric. But we have parametric tools and objects by itself, but overall project (BIM model, Virtual Building, 3D model - call it any name) is not enough parametric. It's just impossible to control everything - instead you need to click here 20 times, click there another 20 times. If we are talking about automation (and we are talking about automation) - where this strong background where automation in project delivery is going to happen? This is very big question for me currently.
Podolsky
Ace
What also I don't understand - why in presentational video is shown interior elevation with shadows from sun? Maybe it looks as impressive graphical representation, but actually in interior shadows will never be as shown - falling from geometrical cut of the building. In interior are important shadows from light sources - as windows and lamps. Otherwise it just does not make any sense.
jl_lt
Ace
Podolsky wrote:
What also I don't understand - why in presentational video is shown interior elevation with shadows from sun? Maybe it looks as impressive graphical representation, but actually in interior shadows will never be as shown - falling from geometrical cut of the building. In interior are important shadows from light sources - as windows and lamps. Otherwise it just does not make any sense.
It looked very nice in architectural drawings from the 90´s
Podolsky
Ace
Imagine in pre-computer era that any architect would draw such shadows in sections an especially in interior elevations. My father was old school classic architect. He drew and painted on big boards by hands beautiful interior elevations. I remember that since childhood - since I remember myself I remember his projects. But I never saw something like that. I understand that it's easier to use the same engine, that producing good, classical shadows on elevations. But Interior Elevations is something a little bit different. I can call it simply cheating. Graphisoft, please, you are cheating with interior elevation shadows. And we are not complete idiots. We can make our clients idiots, but...