Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 25

Narska
Advocate
Where can I find a list of what new goodies we can expect in the next version of archicad?
Tomasz Mlynarski
New York based Architect
184 REPLIES 184
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is better if they called it AC 24s
Of anew update of AC 24
It seems they make all these features between May and July. So the release come late two mothes
In other hand this weak version maybe gives the developer the time to make new tools from scratch along last year to next year.
So it's always better to show the users the road map.
I hope next year is better;
insideru
Advocate
Allow me to TRY to solve the mystery. Bear with me, it's a long one, but i hope it makes sense.

Something happened in version 24. Hotfixes started to be called Updates, they had new features added to the software, and they even have articles on the site.Take a look here:
https://graphisoft.com/downloads/archicad/updates/archicad-24-update
Now, the first sentence of that post is this one:
By releasing new capabilities and enhancements with every Archicad update, our users benefit from continuous improvements throughout the year.
I think they are shifting the way they make new releases, here is how i think they will do it and why i think it's a good thing.

Every Archicad version, for the past decade, launched with a certain degree of major bugs. Any of you started working with the new version right away? I have never done so. Even resellers don't recommand it. "Finish the project in the version you started working on it", they say. That's because, most of the time, bugs and crashes would be so critical, at the start of the new version cycle, it just wasn't practical to use it in production setup.

What ended up happening: they crammed all the features they could in the 8-10 months they had for development, then tested as much as they could until launch. The rest of the development would be carried out during the next couple months, and applied to the product through hotfixes.

This has two major problems (probably more, depending on which way you look at it, i am just analysing from a commercial/marketing pov): One, You have a faulty program at launch, that frustrates users and helps with a bad company/product rep ... and two, users choose to run an older version of the software, until the new one gets fixed/finished.

How could you fix this? No need to think, Apple has the answer here, and we know Graphisoft loves Apple. A few years back, they used to do the same: cram all the features into new versions of ios and launching them buggy as hell (releasing hotfixes throughout the year), that people just used older versions to be sure they could use their phones (not updating). So they started to develop features modularly, separately, so they could be tested individually and released when they are ready. They then started launching new ios versions with some features "added later in the year".

If you are interested, you can read about it here:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-21/apple-ios-14-features-changes-testing-after-ios-1...
So, here is what i believe is going to happen. They will focus on stability and functionality from day one. Its absolutely imperative to have that if you want to have a product people that sells. This will solve problem one: the program will be usable from day one, with minor, non-production breaking bugs. This in turn, solves problem two: People will stop using the older version, and upgrade, especially since most of us have SSA anyway.

What will happen afterwards is they'll be adding those new features that didn't quite passed QA for launch, throughout the year, as they are ready.

I, for one, would be extremely happy if they do this ... and i think you all should be. Getting a new version with fewer features, but with much fewer bugs during the first months, and getting the rest of the features later is a much better plan than just not using the new version because of X bug, thus losing access to some new features that aren't bugged (i won't mention new versions that reactivated old bugs, but that seems to be a thing lately).
ARCHICAD 27 INT
macOS Sonoma
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know that there are a lot of complaints already about this version. I usually try to find the handful of enhancements that allows me to save time and design better. The couple that I say that will save me a lot of time are the ability to pick things in 3D and highlight them in 2d and the other way around. Also the ability to hide things in three dimensions without turning off the layer is a big advantage for me. Any and all enhancements to interoperability are always welcome. And finally the elevation enhancements are welcome. Not always is the gaming engine the only way to present your design for me it’s a combination of things.
Podolsky
Ace
Okey, there are few thoughts before I go sleep.
Survey point. What the point to have several style points (these buttons) if survey point is 'virtual' - not shown on printed drawing? Of course it came from previous GDL object, but now styles of graphical representation are not needed at all. It's just not clever.
And another one - update of licence and sign in to Graphisoft ID on ArchiCAD start. Looks like Graphisoft experience high level of software piracy, and this update - new try to cut the piracy. Piracy - it's very interesting (and often forbidden) theme to discuss. For me as a person who came from post Soviet area piracy was essential. We, being youngsters, in time of Windows 95, were even not able to understand that software can cost more then computer. We were buying CD with all possible architectural software on the market for 5 dollars max and thought - this is how it suppose to be. And one day I faced the problem. ArchiCAD from this CD did not work. Then I found out - exists the thing called hardware protection key. After I managed, after several tries, to find and buy working ArchiCAD 5, came version 6. And after you see version 6 - you cannot work with version 5 anymore. But version 6 was never 'cracked'. Until, after 3 months of searching in Internet, I found one guy from Moscow, who sold me hardware key emulator for 300 bucks. And it worked perfectly! After came ArchiCAD 7. Graphisoft changed they keys to some German technology. My friend hacker after reviewing the new key told me, that with new key it is possible to execute part of exe file in the key - so it's possible to make the software totally uncrakable, but Graphisoft is not using this possibility! So they like did care about protecting their software, but not really.

Of course, piracy - it's stealing from Graphisoft.
But, here is interesting point. Graphisoft positioning ArchiCAD as some sort of vintage beloved architectural software for small boutique architectural companies. And it's very good for creative individuals. But are they rich? Not really. Many architects from small practises are poor. They survive somehow. Are they able to pay? Not all of them. Then who is able to pay? Big companies. But big architectural companies (on corporative level) mostly involved into construction technologies much more, then single creative architects. Does ArchiCAD able to deliver complete solution for big corporations? No, not really. We still cannot set in the project structural slab level, finished floor level and finished ceiling level. So then what? Most likely big companies will buy another software then. Or, if they are buying ArchiCAD - they suffer and their business suffers. I know one example of UK company with 200 employees. Since they got ArchiCAD after switching from 2D CAD - they are really really suffering. Directors are saying all the time - we must get Revit instead. And probably they will one day.
So the situation reminds me a snake, that biting its own tail.
rm
Expert
Podolsky wrote:
For me as a person who came from post Soviet area piracy was essential.
It seems you are suggesting stealing ArchiCAD or any other software is ok as long as you have a "good" reason to steal it.

I'm sure we all have opinions of what ArchiCAD is really worth to us as Architects especially after today's announcement of AC 25. Much of commentary here is focused on the value of these yearly updates from GS and if they actually bring a fair value to cost proposition.

But stealing intellectual property is NEVER ok! It hurts everyone. It first hurts the developers who put hundreds of thousands of hours into creating the software. It hurts those that pay for the software and it hurts the economy.

BTW, if you are an Architect and someone steals your design and or your construction documents, because they do not see the value in your work, is it fair to you if they duplicate it and charge for it?!

Even if most people knew how to pirate software, would they? I know I wouldn't and I am sure many other practitioners with integrity would not either. I'm actually surprised you would even admit that you have pirated ArchiCAD for a long time. I hope GS will take the appropriate steps to this illegal activity.
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
jl_lt
Ace
insideru wrote:

I, for one, would be extremely happy if they do this ... and i think you all should be. Getting a new version with fewer features, but with much fewer bugs during the first months, and getting the rest of the features later is a much better plan than just not using the new version because of X bug, thus losing access to some new features that aren't bugged (i won't mention new versions that reactivated old bugs, but that seems to be a thing lately).
I wouldnt mind it either. id actually like it very much, to have incremental updates without relation to a yearly cycle which i agree is not sustainable.
Barry Kelly
I just watched the Australian 25 launch webinar.
During Beta testing I too was a little disappointed with the new content in 25 this year.
But after watching the webinar and knowing what hopefully will come in the near future, I think I am starting to like this release.
Still no big ticket item for me, but I guess we can't expect new/revamped tools every release.

Textures in 3D are great.
Selecting and finding elements in 2D/3D (quick shift) & hiding elements in 3D is great.
Polygonal openings are great.
New library parts are OK.
Plus a few other small things.

I don't think I will ever use SAM.

But it is the zones in section (with ability to label them) and the new scheduling features that will be coming in a future update (not too long I hope) that I am looking forward to the most.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
jl_lt
Ace
rm wrote:
Podolsky wrote:
For me as a person who came from post Soviet area piracy was essential.
It seems you are suggesting stealing ArchiCAD or any other software is ok as long as you have a "good" reason to steal it.

I'm sure we all have opinions of what ArchiCAD is really worth to us as Architects especially after today's announcement of AC 25. Much of commentary here is focused on the value of these yearly updates from GS and if they actually bring a fair value to cost proposition.

But stealing intellectual property is NEVER ok! It hurts everyone. It first hurts the developers who put hundreds of thousands of hours into creating the software. It hurts those that pay for the software and it hurts the economy.

BTW, if you are an Architect and someone steals your design and or your construction documents, because they do not see the value in your work, is it fair to you if they duplicate it and charge for it?!

Even if most people knew how to pirate software, would they? I know I wouldn't and I am sure many other practitioners with integrity would not either. I'm actually surprised you would even admit that you have pirated ArchiCAD for a long time. I hope GS will take the appropriate steps to this illegal activity.
I think we all agree with you. But also, and im not justifying anything, the moment they get too harsh on this they lose the markets in Latin America, Africa, most of Asia and probably even eastern Europe. Unfortunately, this is the way for many users to experience any software; eventually, a nice percentage of them will succeed and a nice percentage of that will end up buying the software, the rest would not have bought it anyway.

What they need to do is offer even more flexible paying options, like some multiyear credit with lower monthly fees (with a net increase in the price at the end of course, otherwise wouldnt be fair for the guys that pay upfront). As i said elsewhere, is not that users in these countries dont want to pay, its just that, in many cases, they can´t.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Horribly disappointing....They've downgraded!! Every workers of Graphisoft must have been in a hospital because of COVID-19
Martin Jan Rosa
Booster
As a SSA user, I am quite satisfied with the new version’s features and I can’t wait to use them once the 25 will be released in the “rest of the world” language mutations. I don’t mind the strategy of releasing more minor releases over the year instead of one that changes geverything; one can at least keep pace with the development. I have just two wishes: GS, please, the polygonal opennings are great, but the tool will never be fully usable without the possibility to make openings in the roofs as well. And could you possibily shorten the period between releasing the INT and local versions (must it really always take months to translate everything related to the new minor features)?
www.martinrosa.cz
GRAPHISOFT Certified Archicad BIM Manager, 2021, 2023
AC 27 CZ @ macOS 14.3