Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 25

Narska
Advocate
Where can I find a list of what new goodies we can expect in the next version of archicad?
Tomasz Mlynarski
New York based Architect
184 REPLIES 184
Anonymous
Not applicable
Podolsky wrote:

Hi Podolsky,

About the site Archi-Cadlink.fr

As a reminder, the rules of our forum specify that:
" No post will be taken on subjects dealing with hacking and the use of p2p (emule, limewire, shareaza, bittorrent etc ...). Likewise, the subjects of people using illegal versions of software, or unlicensed or requesting any information about these versions will be closed."

So, We are scandalized by the content of your statements about the ArchicadLink site.
Official French, Belgian, Luxembourg and Swiss distributors would not be on this forum if the main topic of the forum was Archicad hacking.

Take accurate and serious information before writing hurtful information.
You shock a lot of European people with your unfounded words.

Our forum is intended for the friendly exchange between professionals archicad users.
Rest assured of our good intentions.
Feel free to contact me if you want.

Sam Cordier
President of French-speaking community.Archicad users association.
The team ( Mael Clavier, Pierre Fernandez, Yves Houssier, Simon Peyrard, Felipe Ribeiro, Nicolas Verrier ) and all the 1100 members !

https://www.archi-cadlink.fr
Podolsky
Ace
When I’m saying about French community - I mean that the main hacks are coming today from France, because hackers group 7up is located in France, as they are saying in their description. Where exactly users of pirate versions are residing and on which forums they can appear - it’s their personal choice. Probably Russians will be most likely on Rissian forums, French - on French. Some can appear here. As I understand - anyone can register on the forum and nobody can check - do they own legal version or not. Of course nobody it publishing ‘hacks’ directly on forums - for that exist different web-sites and channels. But the problem does exist, and if in ArchiCAD 25 there is update of licence, that means problem exist, and, probably it’s big enough to not close eyes to that.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Christophe wrote:
Using Catalina or Big Sur is absolutely not a solution because of hardware and other software on these OS.
Is this software no longer supported and updated? Clients complaining about not being able to use the latest version of one software due to limitations cause by not wanting to update a different software?

Just curious, but what hardware realistically prevents you from upgrading your OS?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Karl Ottenstein
Lingwisyer wrote:
Christophe wrote:
Using Catalina or Big Sur is absolutely not a solution because of hardware and other software on these OS.
Is this software no longer supported and updated? Clients complaining about not being able to use the latest version of one software due to limitations cause by not wanting to update a different software?

Just curious, but what hardware realistically prevents you from upgrading your OS?
Unlike the Windows world, Macs can no longer run 32 bit software. So, I imagine some of these people who don't want to upgrade their OS to Catalina or Big Sur still run such programs... which would include the 9-year old Adobe Creative Suite 6 (Photoshop, InDesign, etc etc) which was a permanent license prior to Adobe's switch to subcription-only. There are various older scanner drivers, etc. that are 32 bit only due to the age of the hardware.

Apple also does an 8-year hardware end of life for the most recent OS version, so some Macs might be too old to upgrade to Catalina or Big Sur. For example, Big Sur can only be installed on Macs that are 8 years old or newer:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211238
Catalina pushes that back to all of the 2012 models.
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP803?locale=en_US

But, for those people whose Mac is capable of running Catalina or Big Sur... there are ways to do so in order to run AC 25 and other newer software and yet still run the old 32 bit stuff. The people leary of updating are obviously on Intel chips since the M1 was only released last year and runs Big Sur and above... and so can run any OS in a virtual machine...

Virtual Machines let you get away with running almost anything. Podolsky suggested running Windows 10 or 11 via bootcamp to run AC 25. That is possible... but inconvenient (reboot) and most Mac people are on a Mac because of the UI. What would make much more sense is to clone the current MacOS into a Virtual Machine in order to run any old software there... and then update the Mac to the most recent MacOS it is capable of running so that AC 25 runs natively with all cores and full graphics capability.

Personally, I've used Parallels Desktop for years, primarily to run Windows software side-by-side with Mac apps... but I also have virtual machines for Lion, Mojave and High Sierra among others if I have to run old Mac software...which has actually never been needed. I even have some bootable drives for old versions of MacOS in case I need to natively run an old OS...but I've never needed those either.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Karl wrote:
Apple also does an 8-year hardware end of life for the most recent OS version, so some Macs might be too old to upgrade to Catalina or Big Sur. For example, Big Sur can only be installed on Macs that are 8 years old or newer:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211238
Catalina pushes that back to all of the 2012 models.
https://support.apple.com/kb/SP803?locale=en_US
Hello Karl,

You have perfectly understood the subject ! Looking back, I think it is possible or even advisable after so many years to recommend a migration to Catalina which has had a stable version for a few months. Yes it will be necessary to review certain licenses and applications but it is ultimately a fairly minor subject even if it is a notable constraint in terms of organization and production. Summer is coming, it's time to devote yourself to it.
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
manuno
Contributor
So, so disappointed with graphisoft and this "new version" 25! already the 24 was more than limit, but there, we reach new heights! Until when are you going to laugh at users? Was every second correct version too much for you? It's so disappointing that the feeling that this update gives me is that we are looked down upon !!! It's lamentable ... and sad. No improvement on the composite walls (independent edition of the layers), nothing on the land, on the VRD, on the joinery (large scale details ...) ... What about airtightness ? and continuous insulation ? And you call it a new version ?
I suggest you hire real architects, who are confronted every day with the reality of construction sites and the need for archicad to evolve accordingly.

Seriously, are you proud of yourself ?

Manuno, so sad about this...
Podolsky
Ace
manuno wrote:
So, so disappointed with graphisoft and this "new version" 25! already the 24 was more than limit, but there, we reach new heights! Until when are you going to laugh at users? Was every second correct version too much for you? It's so disappointing that the feeling that this update gives me is that we are looked down upon !!! It's lamentable ... and sad. No improvement on the composite walls (independent edition of the layers), nothing on the land, on the VRD, on the joinery (large scale details ...) ... What about airtightness ? and continuous insulation ? And you call it a new version ?
I suggest you hire real architects, who are confronted every day with the reality of construction sites and the need for archicad to evolve accordingly.

Seriously, are you proud of yourself ?

Manuno, so sad about this...
I might finally to take part of developers and try to protect them. Yes, I agree, some features was not developed till the end and require further adjustment - like mentioned before lack of central control of graphical style of sections/elevations with new texture fill. Or conversions of global geographical coordinates into national with simple UI. But, by another hand, changes can also be done to core of program - something invisible to user. How software is communicating with CPU and GPU, RAM requests etc. Preparation for switch to ARM architecture and new features introduced in Windows 11.
Very often just pushing to the introduction of new features all the time can lead to uncontrolled expansion of source code and a lot of hidden bugs. Just imagine to have ALL perfect features we are desire, but the software, that constantly crashing. That exactly the story we know from Revit development.
Sometimes it's necessary to make major revision of core features, fix (or replace) buggy parts, improve better CPU use and multicore computation - to prepare the solid field for future development.

I wish we could know a little bit more about this part of development, as users can see only interface, that is only small part of the system.
manuno
Contributor
precisely, it was already the impression that we had with the 24 !!! And the fact that the competition has problems is not a sufficient reason to justify this lack of progress! Archicad needs to evolve clearly towards the expectations of architects !!! certain changes have been requested for years (see ten years !!!)

Seriously, you imagine the meeting produces:
- "uh ... guys, there's really nothing in this new version ... we did it to them last year, don't you think it's going to be a big bitch?"
- "but no, don't worry! we are going to give them new kitchen furniture, and they will see nothing but fire!"

... If that's not taking us for idiots ...
This was one of the most underwhelming upgrades I've encountered from Graphisoft in the past 25 years. For a sole-practitioner architect, I can find very little of benefit. Structural analytical models do not benefit me, nor do purported improvements to interoperability with Revit. Other features are uncompleted, half-baked, or not even worth being mentioned as a Version "feature." ("New Along Chord stair construction geometry method" as a primary marketed improvement of stairs? Really?) Maybe this is all required to remove Revit-objections to buying Archicad; I don't know.

The one feature that might have had some benefit is the rework of the kitchen cabinets. But there aren't even as many cabinet door panel options as there were in the last version, and the ones that are there are just weird. (I've never seen a 3 or 4-panel cabinet door in the real world.) Fortunately, the Ci Tools cabinet tool can fill in. Oh, wait, it can't because it isn't even available for AC25. Nor is the Twinmotion Direct Link. There seems to have been very little concern that primary 3rd party add-ons were keeping up development in time for the new release.

On a positive note, I won't have to change my workflow for AC25 or learn any new commands!
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
kittonian
Beginner
I'm not going to parrot all the other people saying how lackluster this update is, but I have to say that after playing around with it for two days now, it's just frustratingly awful.

1. I've got an 8GB AMD RX 5700XT in this Mac that is pretty powerful (I run OctaneX in C4D and can do some fairly impressive real time visuals). Simply scrolling in the 3D window in AC25 when you have a mildly complex scene is unusable. Constant beachballs. I'm not talking about huge poly objects either. In fact, I was just designing some new tile layouts for our project template and am only using slabs.

2. The 3D Connexion SpaceMouse doesn't work at all.

3. Switching between tabs causes it to swap back to another tab intermittently and you have to repeatedly click on the tab you want when this occurs.

4. Using the subtract option on a slab over and over again causes the points you have chosen to click on to randomly move to other points on the slab.

5. The idea that GS is touting how they "rewrote the graphics in Metal" and it should be a "significant improvement" is a joke. AC24 was much faster.

6. Integrating structural analysis, while I understand the desire to reach out to structural engineers, is pretty silly. I don't know a single structural engineer who uses AC, and I highly doubt with the way this release is going that GS is going to attract people to switch.

7. Has anyone at GS ever done an architectural project? There are so many workflow enhancements that could have been included, such as:

Allowing slabs to be rotated instead of needing to turn them into morphs
Not having to repeatedly click on the subtract or add tools and instead allow you to continue using the same function over and over again
Grouping in section/elevation
Working with Maxon (now owned by the same company as GS) to ensure that the 3D capabilities are as smooth as they are in C4D and can handle high poly counts
Working with manufacturers to ensure that real world objects are readily available. Converting RVTs never really works correctly. I have spent so much time creating door leafs, modeling lights in C4D and importing them into AC, etc.
Buy CI and integrate all of their tools, especially cabinets and electrical (no, the new cabinet tool is not sufficient to replace CI)
Make stairs and railings a lot more user friendly. Sure, I get what I need (eventually) but it's time consuming and a serious hassle

I could go on and on, but you get the point. AC is supposedly designed by architects for architects, or at least that was the slogan years ago. Not sure what has happened over the last few years, but it seems it's more about taking people's money and doing the least amount possible, rather than putting out serious software for professionals.

Again, these are my findings after less than two full days of use. How this got through beta is astonishing.
ArchiCAD 25 | Cinema 4D R23
12-Core Mac Pro (2 x 3.46 6-Core Xeon, 64GB DDR3)
OS X 11.2.3
AMD Sapphire Pulse Radeon 5700 XT (8gb)