Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 25

Narska
Advocate
Where can I find a list of what new goodies we can expect in the next version of archicad?
Tomasz Mlynarski
New York based Architect
184 REPLIES 184
jl_lt
Ace
henryL wrote:
Who can spread the initiative to bigger firms?
actually this one is quite straightforward. in my experience, as long you are not writing there for a job, big offices are quite open in amswering questions, in this case bim questions. im sure some big offices (but not as big as to appear on the archicad box cover) would be glad to participate in something like this as it would benefit them directly.
Podolsky
Ace
Simple, guyz. First - drafting the letter here. Anyone can then 'answer with quote', delete
marks and edit the text. Text does not belong to anyone and is creative common. After month or two of active editing and discussions - send the text to big ArchiCAD firms. Anyone who has access to them - can try to email them. They answering - good. Local distributors can be involved too.
If the whole world community will show proper activity to that - you will get the letter and results.
Because otherwise this endless complain of angry users, that currently happens, is boring and not productive.

"Okey, will go make a phone call to my GP and ask prescription of antidepressants. Just looked to the new version of ArchiCAD"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think the better idea is to start crowfunding project: new ArchiCAD with all functionality we want.
Do we need 1 Million € for the programmers?

Compare Photoshop with Pixelmator Pro...
Podolsky
Ace
Mat wrote:
I think the better idea is to start crowfunding project: new ArchiCAD with all functionality we want.

Yeh. Or ask Google or Amazon to launch development of new software for architecture and construction, because these dinosaurs Nemetschek and Autodesk cannot manage anymore in development modern software and stack somewhere on the edge of XX and XIX century. Seriously - Silicon Valley would manage that situation quickly.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Podolsky wrote:
Yeah. Or ask Google or Amazon to launch the development of new software for architecture and construction, because these dinosaurs Nemetschek and Autodesk cannot manage anymore the development of modern software and are stuck somewhere on the edge of XX and XIX centuries. Seriously - Silicon Valley would manage that situation quickly.

Yeah, just like Katerra did? The Silicon Valley preconstruction company that wanted to disrupt the whole construction industry then went bankrupt after burning through billions of dollars?

https://www.architectmagazine.com/technology/katerras-2-billion-legacy_o
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Podolsky
Ace
LaszloNagy wrote:
Podolsky wrote:
Yeah. Or ask Google or Amazon to launch the development of new software for architecture and construction, because these dinosaurs Nemetschek and Autodesk cannot manage anymore the development of modern software and are stuck somewhere on the edge of XX and XIX centuries. Seriously - Silicon Valley would manage that situation quickly.

Yeah, just like Katerra did? The Silicon Valley preconstruction company that wanted to disrupt the whole construction industry then went bankrupt after burning through billions of dollars?

This is interesting. Do you know guys, that Google and Amazon launched programs of providing affordable housing in USA? Maybe it is not related directly in developing AEC software but just investing money directly in construction, but important that they started to think about - where people will live in the future. Because we cannot live in the war fields all the time, surrounded by amazing gadgets with Internet from space.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gábor Bojár has started ArchiCAD project as Radar CH in 1984 in Hungary- with a few resourses. So may be in 2021 it is possible to start something similar or even better- over crowfounding.

Katerra is bad example- they were not strictly software company.
Podolsky
Ace
LaszloNagy wrote:
Podolsky wrote:

Okey, so what article is saying. 'There is no reason why company like Katerra to fail. It's not because ideas were wrong, it's because execution was wrong.' Kattera was construction company, that produced buildings on factories, had the whole supply chain and later asked Autodesk to write software for them, called Apollo. So it's not exactly AEC software development start-up. And by the way, Graphisoft also can bankrupt one day, if everything will continue like these days.

I don't know where was that moment, when ArchiCAD first started to loose its years proven stability, then became fragmented with mixture of old, ancient features and brand new tools - that often speaks different languages and overall interface started to get heavier and heavier (with new light look). New generation of programmers stepped in Graphisoft Park and original developers team now retired? Something like that Gabor Boyar said in his recent interview - that now in GS working next generation of young software engineers with new visions. In interview it sounded very positive, but maybe this new generation must learn more from their retired colleagues?
About 10 years ago there was a paper from GS programmers about how Revit is bad, how bad technology there, how poorly written course code to compare to ArchiCAD. Very important point was - Revit crashes all the time. But as I remember last versions, maybe starting from version 23, constantly experience problem with stability. You can have super-expensive Mac's, fast Internet and BIM server running on really good, solid stable machine, - ArchiCAD will crash all the time as soon as file is growing in size and archives size of 2-4 GB. But this is normal size of good BIM model in TW - few GB. Otherwise no point even try to work in BIM.
Now new version and what the first problem user experienced - in first two days after release? First post: 'ArchiCAD 25 crashes opening elevation with texture fills.'

Some users even writing here - we are happy to wait for new features longer then a year, paying money for our SSA, but please improve stability.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
My point was that the fact that a company is from Silicon Valley is no guarantee that it will be successful in any given field - software or any other. Katerra is a good example of that.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
DGSketcher
Legend
Podolsky wrote:
Mat wrote:

Yeh. Or ask Google or Amazon to launch development of new software for architecture and construction, because these dinosaurs Nemetschek and Autodesk cannot manage anymore in development modern software and stack somewhere on the edge of XX and XIX century. Seriously - Silicon Valley would manage that situation quickly.
Just a little reminder, Sketchup was in the hands of Google for six years and they pretty much did nothing to really develop it from more than a basic modeller. The documenting process was and is I believe still a mess.

On the Autode$k issue, did the letter make any difference? Have they actually genuinely changed direction? I doubt it, they hold a monopolistic position. There are too many hollow apologists on this planet just now, "oh we're sorry, we won't do it again and we will learn from what you are saying.", yeah, right up until the next shareholder meeting.

I agree AC25 so far has been a disaster, but take a close look at the competition and compare the stuff that works in AC against other software. If the other software does the job better then you have a choice. If it doesn't the best that can be done is to air your opinion and ride it out.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)