Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 25

Narska
Advocate
Where can I find a list of what new goodies we can expect in the next version of archicad?
Tomasz Mlynarski
New York based Architect
184 REPLIES 184
Emre Senoglu
Expert
Ignacio wrote:
Twinmotion-for-free (I would have stuck with Artlantis otherwise)
TM being free has very little to do with Graphisoft / Archicad. The program is still in a "unofficial beta" state, due to the number of changes being made. TM has been 'free to keep' for two years now, for anyone that downloads it. So while it's great that AC is promoting TM, it's really disappointing to see them sell this as a 'feature'.
AC26 ARM // MBP M2 Max // Twinmotion | Corona | Rhino

www.senoglu.dk

Podolsky
Ace
What also I don't understand is that in the past several versions most of new introduced features was never worked 'straight forward'. Let say if it's point cloud - very good, but it is not supporting black and white (grey) point cloud - shows everything black. Or showing previews of walls in schedule - that feature just didn't work. I'm not sure it was fixed - or walls disappearing from schedule, or was not showing fills in in composites, or disappearing previews completely. BIM cloud support of uploading files - why there is no built in online PDF viewer? At least. DWG viewer also could be included. New stair. Some railings are still buggy - not showing right position of wall fixings. Plan preview symbol sometimes gives bugs - if modify stair manually. MEP appeared as part of default package - but MEP modeller already existed for many years. It needed some updates - instead it was just included how it is. Revit files exchange. As third part Add-on it's at least something, but it needed to be improved before becoming part of standard installation. Plenty examples like that. And than it takes years to fix all bugs. I imagine if let say yearly versions would have similar issues. Switch between AC 5 and 6. All new features just worked. But now, if any new feature, when appearing, is problematic and need future fixing - again and again - then what all that for? We are reading news - ArchiCAD introducing Python. Oh, great news! But what we can do with Python? Almost nothing. I don't know, it looks like mimicking progression then. You are getting new super-powerful computer with 12 physical cores and finding out, that scheduling calculation happens really slow. Or BIMx GI calculation can take up to all night, if model is large. Why? Because part of algorithms are running on one core? But wait a minute - some version advertised that ArchiCAD have got multi-core support (like super fast, with racing cars images).
Architects cannot then deliver their projects and make advanced BIM models, if part of the features are not working, buggy or simply super old. Because project must have all parts. Otherwise we need to deliver half of the project - based on well working features and not to deliver another one at all, explaining to the clients that sorry, we cannot do that, because our software not able to do it. And sad true - this is exactly happens. I've seen examples of such projects. So client get angry, then lawyers involved to sort it out and unfinished project is passing into hand or someone else, who will finalise it - sometimes even using hand drawn sketches.
I know the story about Bond Bryan Architects - one of the top ArchiCAD BIM driven practises in UK. Their project was on splash screen on version 19. They just stopped to upgrade ArchiCAD and stick to version 19 for several years. Because it worked for them - just less problems (and because they loved their project on splash screen, but of course that cannot be the main reason).
TMA_80
Enthusiast
Considering how things are going on, my expectaion is that for the next version, the M1 compatiblity will be the 'lonely' feature
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
Karl Ottenstein
Folks: I have split the posts having to do with Open Source / Open BIM etc to a new thread here:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=74065

Please continue that discussion there and leave this thread for just AC 25 specific discussion. This thread already has multiple things going on but it is too much work to split it into subthreads. PLEASE in the future, if you find yourself posting something that is not specific to the exact subject of a thread... just start a new thread. 🙂

Thanks!
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Podolsky
Ace
Sorry, I've found it.
Podolsky wrote:
Karl, one my post disappeared. Have you deleted it?
Karl wrote:
Folks: I have split the posts having to do with Open Source / Open BIM etc to a new thread here:

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=74065

Please continue that discussion there and leave this thread for just AC 25 specific discussion. This thread already has multiple things going on but it is too much work to split it into subthreads. PLEASE in the future, if you find yourself posting something that is not specific to the exact subject of a thread... just start a new thread. 🙂

Thanks!
Thomas Holm
Booster
Ignacio,

I couldn't agree more!

Of course I have complaints. Some ten years ago, I was kicked out of the beta tester group for Archicad 11, I guess because I was too much of a pain in the ass.

But I'm amazed at the level of grumpiness some of us display now. For years, at almost every new release, there has been a lot of talk like "there are just tools for big companies this time, GS never looks to the many users at small practices", etc. So now, when they have released a number of smaller improvements, to a level that makes me want to get the new release right away, because some of them address issues that I've had for a long time. Being half of a two-person practice, I'm always cautious, I usually delay installing new releases at least six months or so, to give them time to weed out most bugs. But not this time, I realise I will benefit from this release right away.

So I'm happy. I would think others would be too, but... I guess you can never satisfy everybody. I'd just like to tell Graphisoft that not everybody is dissatisfied. Keep up the good work!

Ignacio wrote:
This is an amazing piece of software, which I suspect stands head and shoulders above everything else whenever I talk to someone using “the competition”. Just wanted to put all the bitching, most of it probably justified, within that framework.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Sunny75
Booster
Thomas wrote:
Ignacio,

I couldn't agree more!

Of course I have complaints. Some ten years ago, I was kicked out of the beta tester group for Archicad 11, I guess because I was too much of a pain in the ass.

But I'm amazed at the level of grumpiness some of us display now. For years, at almost every new release, there has been a lot of talk like "there are just tools for big companies this time, GS never looks to the many users at small practices", etc. So now, when they have released a number of smaller improvements, to a level that makes me want to get the new release right away, because some of them address issues that I've had for a long time. Being half of a two-person practice, I'm always cautious, I usually delay installing new releases at least six months or so, to give them time to weed out most bugs. But not this time, I realise I will benefit from this release right away.

So I'm happy. I would think others would be too, but... I guess you can never satisfy everybody. I'd just like to tell Graphisoft that not everybody is dissatisfied. Keep up the good work!

Ignacio wrote:
This is an amazing piece of software, which I suspect stands head and shoulders above everything else whenever I talk to someone using “the competition”. Just wanted to put all the bitching, most of it probably justified, within that framework.
I totally agree with your comment, I am eager to use version 25 with some pretty nifty features like switch select 2d-3d and the textured sections, to name a few..
insideru
Advocate
Sunny75 wrote:
I totally agree with your comment, I am eager to use version 25 with some pretty nifty features like switch select 2d-3d and the textured sections, to name a few..
I think you misunderstood the point of this topic. It's not that we hate the new features, it's just that they are so few and so little, that it's clear this was not something worked on for an entire year. As paying subscription customers we just demand not to be taken for fools. All the other versions, while maybe not targeted at our own selves directly, showed a clear strategy and development direction.

25 brings necessary QoL improvements, but compare the number of videos on youtube for 25 to any other version. You will see what i mean. What i hope for is that most of the dev team works on something big for next year, but in the meanwhile, we are paying for products, not dreams and hopes.
ARCHICAD 27 INT
macOS Sonoma
Karl Ottenstein
insideru wrote:
Sunny75 wrote:
I think you misunderstood the point of this topic.
insideru - no, it is you who is misunderstanding the point of this topic. This topic is about AC 25 from all points of view... about its features. It is not about what we wish was there (there is another specific topic for that - and of course 100's of wish topics beyond that) - nor how anyone wishes Graphisoft handled product roll-outs - there is another specific topic for that.

Anyone wanting to discuss any aspect - positive or negative - of the features specifically introduced in 25 is welcome on this topic. But, please stay on THAT topic ... and discuss other issues in the other existing topics (or create a new topic if a specific one does not exist).

Cheers,
Karl / moderator
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
bouhmidage
Advisor
For me, archicad, in this version, becomes more homogenious, and logical

* same rgb color for graphic overrides in 2d and 3d is a good move, in the older versions, colors in plan were controlled only by pensets, the introduced rgb color control could be a preperation for a future move.
I designed a project few months ago with lot of parameters that i had to show using G.O. i found my self with lot of new surfaces matching a bunch of colors from the penset.
Workkng twice for a simple task.

*new section styles introducing textures in elevations,
Can we say now that archicad elevations are real 3D sections not just a projection ?
If yes, we expect the possibility of modelling elements , placing windows/doors in elevations

*analytic model : it would be great if the analytic model can be exchanged with much more softwares, robot structure for exemple, then it will make sense for architects to use it

It makes no sense for structural engeneer to model structure in archicad to generate analytic model, the send model for calculations inside robit or risa, and then produce drawings in revit or something else, a tour around the world,
Making SAF available for more softwares will make sensd for engeneers,

* cabinets : more options on countertop : sink emptyhole, top sidings,
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 10 GB
Archicad 25
Windows 10 professional
https://www.behance.net/Nuance-Architects