Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 26 - 2D Antialiasing - Possible BUG

henryL
Enthusiast

Hi, 

i usually work on a 27" inch 4k display at 150% windows scaling and with 2D antialiasing turned off. Half the lines are thick and blurry.  

Scaling at 100% is a bit better but you can still see the the problem.

No problem at all with Archicad 25.

Immagine 2022-07-19 153819.jpg
21 REPLIES 21
Oosh
Booster

I’m having the same issue on my 15” MacBook Pro. 2D line work is thick whether I have true line weight on or off.

AC26 5004 | MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2023) | Sonoma 14.0 | Apple M2 Max | 32 GB RAM

Well, another "masterpiece" from Budapest.

stamboldjiev
Participant

I have the same problem. I have the 2d antialising turned off but it doesnt help. 

One of the displays i had put AC 26 and the other is 25. Visible difference. Both in lines and text. Also i feel a little lag while navigating on the plan. None of this happens in AC 25 which works smooth. Please tell solution.  

Screenshot 2022-07-20 10.21.17.pngScreenshot 2022-07-20 102913.png
Barry Kelly

I complained about the quality of the screen during Beta testing - in fact way back in the first Alpha test.

BarryKelly_0-1658303085387.jpeg

I never have 2D anti-aliasing turned on.

This allows me to see not quite horizontal/vertical lines as they appear jaggy on screen.

This is the response I received, basically that this is intended and we should now turn on 2D anti-aliasing.

Barry, thanks for all the information.
In Archicad 26 Aplha, we’ve upgraded the drawing infrastructure on Windows. (This change was previously already implemented for Mac.) The goal was to implement a solution that opens the way to modern rendering techniques and cleaner code, to reduce the number of crashes and other software glitches now and in the future. The result has been better performance and appearance.
As a result of this development, 2D Drawing Antialiasing is turned on by default (performance issues no longer a problem, and this option makes drawings appear much smoother). I hear you that this setting was always off on your side, but I encourage you to give it a chance.
About the text appearance: even though antialiasing was turned off in former Archicad versions, the texts were always drawn with antialias. This changed, if you have 2D Drawing Antialiasing off, it has an effect on the texts too (that's why they could look smoother in former Archicad versions with the same settings).
About finding non-parallel/perpendicular elements: thanks for letting us know about this usage. I would turn off 2D Drawing Antialiasing only for finding these elements, but have it switched off at other times (I am convinced by the quality of the new drawing infrastructure).

So it seems it should not be a problem on Macs , but I think using a 4K monitor can affect how the screen looks - especially if you are scaling the screen.

I would recommend not using 150% screen scaling as anything 1 pixel wide will now try to be 1.5 pixels wide - which is obviously not possible.

So it may scale up to 2 pixels causing thick, blurry lines.

At least this is the way I imagine it happening.

Stick to 100% or 200% or better still just reduce the resolution of your display and stick to 100% scaling - sorry if you want to watch 4K movies!

As soon as I can get my hands on the release version (not available to me yet),

I will be going through and listing all of the problems I see and reporting them as bugs.

At the moment I can't confirm if the quality of display is any better than it was during testing, but I don't think anything will have changed.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
henryL
Enthusiast

Thanks Barry 

i tried your hints but none of them works 

scaling to 100% means that the interface's icons are too small. Lines are ok but not as good as they were on ac25

scaling to 200% doubles the blurryness

changing the monitor resolution to full hd renders everything blurry

Antialiasing performance issues are still visible on a Ryzen  5 2600 and NVIDIA gtx 1660ti

JohnJay
Expert

The line rendering in AC26 is a disaster.  How can they determine that this is an improvement?

AC25 is crisp and clean

AC26 is an unusable mess

32" 4k screen

AClines.png

AC27 | i7990x | RTX4070 | W10

@JohnJay wrote:

AC26 is an unusable mess

Is that with the 2D anti-aliasing option in the Work Environment turned on or off?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
JohnJay
Expert

Off.  I tried with 2D AA on and although the lines are more consistent in terms of thickness, they are still significantly thicker than AC25 but the main problem is everything is a bit blurry, which puts even more strain on my eyes, as well as looking sub standard

AC27 | i7990x | RTX4070 | W10
shane at patterson
Participant

Same issue here. Have tried all the recommended settings above and cannot get Archicad 26 looking anything like Archicad 25 on screen. 25 is considerably sharper onscreen!