Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 7.0 and Archicad 8.0

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello every one.

I have just got my new archicad 8.1...and guess....I am dissapointed.

I am working actually in a big 3d project for rendering objectives..(promotional 3d)..

I have start it in my archicad 7.0 and now it's so slow....so slow..i can't model anything. I don't understand why archicad 8.1 is slower than archicad 7.0

Anyone got a problem like mine? i don't know what to do, because actually i am thinking in returning to archicad 7.0 because it's impossible to me to use.....the 8.1 version....

best regards for all.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
What is your equipment? ArchiCAD 8.1 requires more performance than 7.0. This is typical. Remember that version 4.0 ran on a 16MHz machine with 8MB RAM.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello.

thanks for answering. (sorry about my poor english).

I am using pentium 4 at 3.4gb , 1gb Ram...

Do you know anything about archicad 8.1 being slower than 7.0 ?

thank you.
Anonymous
Not applicable
...and i am using 128 mb video card

thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable
Your equipment sounds entirely adequate for good performance with 8.1. I haven't used 7.0 in quite a while now so I can't say how big the performance difference is, but if you are finding 8.1 to be unacceptably slow there is probably something wrong. I am using it quite happily on a 1GHz PowerBook and it even runs acceptably on my old ThinkPad with a 700MHz P3. A good video card is also important for OpenGL performance in 3D. Yours at 128MB should be very nice. Mine is 64MB and is quite good but I can see the difference compared to the 128MB card in one of our Desktop machines.
Ted Taylor
Contributor
Retirado wrote:

I have start it in my archicad 7.0 and now it's so slow....so slow..i can't model anything. I don't understand why archicad 8.1 is slower than archicad 7.0

Any chance that you have doors or windows from an earlier version of Door & Window Builder used in the project? As I recall, they could cause a slowdown in v8. The latest versions of D&WB don't have that problem and are available on Theometrics web site.

Also, if you bought in v7 Library parts, did you update them using the Update Library Parts command under the Special Menu. That may help.

In general, I found v8.1 to be much snappier than v7 on the same machine. Keep digging and good luck.
Ted Taylor
Atlanta, GA , USA
iMac (Retina 5K, 27", Late 2015)
3.3 GHz Intel Core i5 32GB
AMD Radeon R9 M395 2GB
OS10.14.2,
Latest Archicad 22
Djordje
Ace
Ted wrote:
Retirado wrote:

Any chance that you have doors or windows from an earlier version of Door & Window Builder used in the project? As I recall, they could cause a slowdown in v8. The latest versions of D&WB don't have that problem and are available on Theometrics web site.

Also, if you bought in v7 Library parts, did you update them using the Update Library Parts command under the Special Menu. That may help.
Replacing the 7 objects with 8.1 objects will help even more.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen