BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad Mac still far behind ArchiCad PC!

Anonymous
Not applicable
My message of yesterday disappeared ...
Is it unallowed to speak about it?
33 REPLIES 33
Barry Kelly
I just checked and your message was indeed deleted.
But that was because it was not in English and as this is an English speaking forum it was deleted.
Feel free to post it again in English.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Since the first Archicad for PC, there is a very easier way to choose, or change, the layer of a component: a vertical cursor on the right of the list of layers.
In one click you go from the beginning of the list to its end, instantly.

With Archicad for Mac, this cursor is still missing: when you have to change the layer of a wall (for exemple), you have to scroll all the layers with the mouse wheel or with the arrows on top and bottom of the layers window.

If you have many layers, it takes a LONG time!

PC users save a lot of time.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I might be wrong but I suspect that this is a operating system-specific thing. If this is how every such list in every Mac program works, then it is a system function and all programs use what the system offers them.

There are various interface differences like this between the two platforms. For example, docking on Windows works differently from docking on the Mac.
Or the minimize, maximize and close buttons for windows are at different places on the two platforms. Or you can resize Windows differently on the two platforms.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Karl Ottenstein
LUTHRINGER wrote:
If you have many layers, it takes a LONG time!

PC users save a lot of time.
And this one thing - lack of a scroll bar - makes you feel that the Mac version is "far behind" the PC version?

I don't have a lot of layers, so this has never bothered me - I have a fast-spin mouse wheel, so its faster than dragging a scroll bar. But, we each have things we like or dislike.

There are lots of things Mac users have that Windows users do not have ... and so I would argue that Mac users save a ton of time over PC users overall. One of the biggest time savers is that for all lists on Mac - layers, surfaces, etc - as soon as you start typing a few letters of what you're looking for, then ONLY the items in the list that match are highlighted. So, with a big list of surfaces, you type "waln" ... or "wood"... and immediately can find the Walnut material or all Wood materials.

Also, Windows is getting closer, but does not have anything as powerful as Expose on the Mac for revealing windows when multiple ones are open by app, or system wide, or across virtual desktops. In Windows, you cannot drag a folder/file from a File Explorer window into a file Open or Save dialog to 'jump to that folder. You have to navigate from scratch. But Mac Finder lets you do that and more.

Just a couple of examples. Mac users save a lot of time compared to PC users. 😉

Far behind? Maybe just 'different' is the right description.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Markus Denzlinger
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Using the Shortcut fn - arrow key down or fn - arrow key up brings Mac users to the bottom or the top in any dialog.

regards

Markus
Karl Ottenstein
Markus wrote:
Using the Shortcut fn - arrow key down or fn - arrow key up brings Mac users to the bottom or the top in any dialog.
Fantastic. Thanks! I see that fn+left/right arrow is also useful in the multi-column list of surfaces, etc. Great to learn this, Markus. Appreciate it!
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Strange how Mac users can't ear any critique about Apple, and inversely PC users can't ear any critique about Windows!
PC users dont know what they miss.
Mac users dont know what they miss too.
The fn+arrow key is a good tip...unfortunately the fn key is not on every Apple keyboard!
You go instantly to the beginning or the end of the list and you must have super eyes to catch the right layer during the move.
You can have to manage more than 100 layers, when you get .dwg from outside.
The vertical cursor is very welcome then.
Eduardo Rolon
Just to clear something up. All Apple keyboards have the "Fn" key.

The problem is not the critique, the problem usually is the sweeping statements indicating that "X" does not work or is inferior because I do things in "Y" way.

One of the things that is nice with Mac is the ability to see all your open AC windows with a gesture and click on the one you want.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Eduardo Rolon
Also though Mac OS does not show them by default you have the equivalent of the scroll arrows on it. Once the grey bar appears you can grab it and move it or just click on the top or bottom to move one "page" at a time or "Option+Click" at top or bottom to jump to the beginning or end.
Screen Shot 2014-07-29 at 9.15.04 AM.png
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Learn and get certified!