Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad compatibility with macOS Big Sur 11.3 or above

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear All,

Apple updated macOS Big Sur to 11.3 today, which allows us to fully support Archicad 24 on the new OS. Please read carefully our Help Center article about compatibility, known issues and how these changes affect Archicad.

This update included a fix which finally solved the random crashes issue from macOS 10.15 Catalina or newer, therefore we strongly suggest updating to macOS 11.3 if you have this issue ongoing with your Mac devices.

Connecting to this update, BIMcloud 2021.1 was tested on Big Sur and our Quality Assurance team did not find any issues with it. This means our latest BIMcloud version is also fully supporting macOS 11.3.

For any questions and feedback, feel free to contact me.

Best regards,
Minh Nguyen

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

8 REPLIES 8
ethanbodnar
Enthusiast
Woah, amazing news, thank you for the update!

Guess I know what I'll be doing tonight
matjashka
Enthusiast
I already posted elsewhere, so I'll just summarize: I spent 2 weeks with ArchiCAD 22 installed on new computer that came with Big Sur - I was able to do everything I needed with no crashes. 22 is not supported, but works, in case you still have some older projects and need a new iMac (Intel).
Matt Krol [LinkedIn]
BHMS Architects and Planners, Chicago
AC 10 ... 26 USA
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dear Minh,

I have ArchiCAD 2020 SE single license. is it compatible with macOS Big Sur 11.3? May I update my operating system from macOS 10.15 to macOS 11.3?
Thank you!

Best regards,
Andrey Lozovoy
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Andrey,

Thank you very much for your question!

Yes, Archicad SE 2020 is compatible with macOS 11.3, however, it won't receive any further update.

Thank you for your understanding! Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Romans
Expert
Dear Minh,

Are there any experiences with the current macOS Monterey beta version?
Is AC 24 / 25 compatible with this new OS?
Please give some insights.
Thank you.

Kind Regards
Roman
Apple iMac Pro with macOS Sonoma, AC 5.0 to 27 INT and GER, all the latest
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Roman,

Thank you for your question!

Currently, Archicad 24 and 25 are not yet compatible with macOS Monterey. We will announce Archicad compatibility with this new macOS version soon.

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Romans
Expert
Dear Minh,

Thank you for your answer.

It would be great if both 24 and 25 could be compatible with Monterey on the release day of the new OS, or even sometime before so it could be tested still in beta.

Thanks.

Kind Regards
Roman
Apple iMac Pro with macOS Sonoma, AC 5.0 to 27 INT and GER, all the latest
Karl Ottenstein
Romans wrote:
It would be great if both 24 and 25 could be compatible with Monterey on the release day of the new OS, or even sometime before so it could be tested still in beta.
Lest your hopes get up too much... I cannot think of any new release of MacOS where ARCHICAD has had 100% compatibility until after at least one subsequent update. Apple always seems to change a few things in the final release version. The general wisdom here on archicad-talk is to never upgrade to the initial release of any new MacOS version - both because of issues in MacOS and due to compatability issues yet-to-be-resolved in ARCHICAD.

Just posting this here in case anyone reading this thread is tempted to run the public beta of Monterey: you'll be on your own. 😉

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB