BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad for drafters not architects.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm kind of tired of using Archicad already. It's so hard to do simple things and I'm constantly thinking about how to trick Archicad to represent my design correctly, than actually thinking about my design. There are endless settings and settings, how to fix this and that and how to show that stupid window between two stories, how to paint a wall in horizontal stripes without having to create 10 walls one over another and what to show in plan, what to hide in layer combos. Endless time consuming technical specifics that are required to make very simple things. I'm frequently adjusting my ideas so I can make them happen on Archicad. it's very frustrating. Unfortunately there isn't better alternative yet, but I hope one day there will be a software that will be able to help architects to be architects and not a software geniuses who are constantly looking to overcome the software limitations while creating their design.
4 REPLIES 4
felcunha
Expert
I agree somewhat with you. Sometimes it's painful...
Maybe it's because you're not aware of all the workarounds other users have found to deal with your situations... For example, you can create a complex profile wall to make your horizontal stripes...
it depends also on what you think architects want to be... I've tried some other softwares and realised Archicad is the less dumb. Even if it's getting more and more complicated.
Sometimes I dream of a two-step interface: easy and expert, so people could concentrate on designing in the 80% and toggle to make more tricky things the other 20%.
Felipe Ribeiro Cunha

AC 26, macOS Monterey
MrC
Advocate
IMHO Archicad is like any other tool; as you use it, the greater your skills develop. Its the new normal for all designers and drafters that we have to be proficient with one software version or other. As Felipe points out, if you stumble upon a limitation in Archicad, then there's usually a workaround somewhere. Archicad is a learning curve for sure, but easily worth the effort and time!
ILIFFE ARCHITECTURAL

BRITISH COLUMBIA

macbook pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

AC 21 USA (latest build)
TMA_80
Enthusiast
I agree that the points highlighted by the original poster could and should be made easier . Making modications graphically (on the go) easier and flexible could only enhance the user experience.

The flexibility of Archicad is it's strenght and selling point.
AC12_20 |Win10_64bit|
KeesW
Advocate
I don’t disagree with you. As a 20 year long Archicad user I am still frustrated by its inability to do easy things simply. One can draft in Archicad but the temptation is always to do things in 3D because it’s is so much fun. If you can resist this, Archicad has all the tools to produce good, and quick, 2D drawings - but that is not what it is designed for. Have you looked at Vectorworks?
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Learn and get certified!