BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad on iPad

Anonymous
Not applicable
It is great to have BIMx on on the iPad. I really would like to have a version of Archicad on the iPad pro as well. I have used AC20 on a surface 4 and it works great. When can we expect a version for the iPad Pro?
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Brian wrote:
It is great to have BIMx on on the iPad. I really would like to have a version of Archicad on the iPad pro as well. I have used AC20 on a surface 4 and it works great. When can we expect a version for the iPad Pro?
The Surface 4 Pro is basically a laptop - laptop hardware with Windows 10 OS.

The iPad Pro is none of the above. IOS cannot run Mac OS programs. So, for both hardware and software, your only option with Apple is a MacBook of some sort - which are all out of date at the moment hardware-wise awaiting an October refresh.

Because of the development effort, I would think that you'll never see a version of ArchiCAD or any other Mac OS software for an iPad Pro... until Apple releases a version that in fact runs Mac OS.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
What would in fact be great would be a version of BIMx Pro that runs natively on Surface 4 Pro.
(as opposed to running as the desktop version which lacks the tactile controls and some of the BIMx Pro proper controls and interface features).

I think Graphisoft is really missing a trick having BIMx Pro on that device and format, consideringhow heavily Microsoft are marketing it to the professional community here (in North America) and having an application like BIMx that runs on it would IMO, have it show up i n a lot of MS Surface Pro ads.

As it stands now, whenever they show an ad for the Surface Pro on TV, they'll show it running something like Sketchup or Maya by way of showing it running some Architecture-based software (which isn't even the case in the 2nd one).
Same case with walking into a Microsoft store.

Not that the only reason should be for free advertising, but we always tend to go on and on about how Graphisoft lags behind in PR and market presence here in North America behind their rival, so why wouldn't they take advantage of a situation that would increase their market presence and awareness in a demographic (professionals and business sector) that's currently being catered to and heavily sought after by Microsoft?

Sorry to piggy-back this issue onto your question, but I think it's really important since a lot of architects where I am are starting to adopt the Surface Pro (and Surface book) thanks to its power and ability to run full-fledged programs.
stewart
Participant
Mac OS on iPad isn't the point. ArchiCAD on iOS is the point. Remember AutoCAD 360 at the iPad Pro launch last year? I remember asking this same question to a Graphisoft rep back in the ancient days about a ArchiCAD version running on the the Newton OS.
Remember when Graphisoft invented BIM on a new platform called Macitosh? It is time to lead again.
ArchiCAD 18
M1 MacBook Air
Mac OS 11.6
Mac Pro 5.1
Mac OS 10.14
iPad Pro 12.9”
iOS 15
Learn and get certified!