Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad won't open any file on my computer suddenly.

archanom
Booster

I was using Archicad on my laptop this morning.  I tried to open a file in the afternoon and it wouldn't open.  Just stuck on the spinning wheel.  I have Archicad 26.  I have tried to open other Archicad files, but same thing.  I removed Archicad.  Shut down the computer.  I turned it back on and reloaded Archicad.  I still have the same issue.  I'm at a loss.  I've attached a screenshot of where it stops.  Any ideas?  I have Mac Monterey.

Screen Shot 2022-10-14 at 5.51.54 PM.png
16 REPLIES 16

How much time did you give it to open? Depending on the number of objects, where they are and how they are loaded as well as imported images etc it can take a long time to convert. Often Archicad will colour wheel and even say not responding but it is still quietly working away. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

I was gone for over an hour and came back to it still in the same place.  I've been using Archicad for over 20 years, and this has never happened to me before.

Karl Ottenstein

Your screenshot shows that the file you're opening is in a shared folder, so I'm wondering about a network issue.   What happens if you copy the file to a local folder on your Mac?

Also, just in case something got hosed... check your Security & Privacy > Privacy > Full Disk Access to make sure that Archicad 26 is still listed there and with a checkmark.  (I'm on Big Sur, so don't know if they moved that somewhere else in Monterey.). It should also appear in the Files and Folders group under Privacy, also.

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

So, I just put a file on my desktop and tried to open it, but I get the same issue.  Archicad 26 has full disc access and also appears in the Files and Folders.  When I go to Force Quit, I get this image.  Not sure if this is normally what it looks like.

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 10.36.45 AM.png

Given what you've done, I can't think of anything else that could be the cause...you've reinstalled, restarted your Mac, made sure AC 26 has full disk access, and tried with a local file.  I've not seen anyone else report anything similar here on the Community so suggest that you contact tech support.

The only other things I've seen mentioned here over the years is preference cleaning of AC preferences...since just re-installing will keep all old settings.  But, no doubt you have a lot of preferences set that you'd hate to lose.  So, hopefully tech support can make some other suggestion before you have to do this:

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Setup-License-articles/Preferences-Cleaning/ta-p/303676

and I'm not sure what the difference is between that article and this one (didn't take the time to compare):

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Project-Management-articles/Preferences-Cleaning-with-Prep-Steps...

Edit: PS Yes, what you see with option-right-click is correct/normal.  All apps list their recent files, then app specific menu options, etc as you see.

PPS - Also, are you on the recently released Update 2 of 26?  Build 4022?

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Graphisoft-Insights/Archicad-26-update-2-release/ba-p/358630

One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB

Thank you Karl.  I'll look at those links.  I have contacted tech support.  I just wish they wear available on the weekends.  Thank you.

Have you tried launching Archicad without opening a file and then navigating to File/ Open and selecting the file but also selecting the option to open and repair?

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

Yes.  I have tried that too...with the same results.  I just tried the links that Karl suggested, but it still doesn't do anything.  I just tried moving my libraries to a different folder because maybe the libraries are corrupt, but that didn't change anything either.  

I know this seems pointless and it may not work but worth a try if you haven’t already. Start the mac in safe mode and try to open the file. If it still doesn’t work then try a PRAM reset. 

Lee Hankins
macOS Sonoma (14.2)