Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Atypical bargeboard connection

Hi I have atypical roof construction and I would like to do bargeboard

1. White is from object
2. Blue is from beam - profile manager
3. Invisible Railing
4. Red is morph

Do you have some idea how to do it ? I tried all ways what i know but no of it is right
- object is not connecting
- beam profile also have wrong connection
- railing is have some issue to be show
- morph is curving with 3th angle what I don't want it
AC 7 - 27 SWE

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020),

3,6 GHz 10-Core intel Core i9, 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
Some solution with morph in upload:..
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia

View solution in original post

29 REPLIES 29
Vojtech wrote:
Hi I have atypical roof construction and I would like to do bargeboard

1. White is from object
2. Blue is from beam - profile manager
3. Invisible Railing
4. Red is morph

Do you have some idea how to do it ? I tried all ways what i know but no of it is right
- object is not connecting
- beam profile also have wrong connection
- railing is have some issue to be show
- morph is curving with 3th angle what I don't want it
AC 7 - 27 SWE

3,6 GHz 10-Core intel Core i9, 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. This is a very very trick element to model.
I think the correct name is "Roof Fascia" or "Fascia Board"
IMO the best (and probably the one) way to model this is with Morphs.
I would do this: Draw a flat Morph with your desired profile > Rotate it and place a copy on each node of the roof > Stretch each profile if necessary > Select all the flat profiles and make an "Union" > Draw Morph lines linking each profile node until it gets solid.
Hope this helps.
We have a tool for Archicad that can do it: https://cadswift.com.au/products/Swift-Gutter-Plus.html
It is called "Swift Gutter Plus" and covers the 4 main elements of roof edges:
Fascia (bargeboard),
Gutter,
Downpipes, and
Soffit Lining.
We have spent some time on the "bargeboard" making sure that it joins correctly in all sorts of arrangements. One of our main clients is a builder of high end country homes who produces all trade packages directly from Archicad and even sends cutting list from Archicad to their factory. Therefore they required the bargeboard to mimic true life situations of custom homes for accurate cutting from their automated system.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
Creator of Cadswift's parametric GDL libraries
Creator of Infinite Openings and Component Catalogues
Push the envelope & watch it bend
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/CADSwift/playlists
Lingwisyer
Guru
Vojtech wrote:
railing is have some issue to be show
If you are talking about the connections between segments, you can edit the rotation of each segment independently. You may then need to edit the connection type to get it to finish up cleanly. We did some experimenting back when the railing tool first came out which can be found here.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Hi, I still don't get it and read post what you link. I can make visible railing but the angle / rotation is wrong and I can't fit connection. Did I miss something ?

Lingwisyer wrote:
Vojtech wrote:
railing is have some issue to be show
If you are talking about the connections between segments, you can edit the rotation of each segment independently. You may then need to edit the connection type to get it to finish up cleanly. We did some experimenting back when the railing tool first came out which can be found here.

Ling.
AC 7 - 27 SWE

Thanks 🙂 I usually using word like : "vindskiva"(swedish) and google told me that is "Bargeboard" . Good to know

I don't understand how you mean union I have this joins
Can I rotate plane (photo 2) and continue with another direction/angel ?

Braza wrote:
Yes. This is a very very trick element to model.
I think the correct name is "Roof Fascia" or "Fascia Board"
IMO the best (and probably the one) way to model this is with Morphs.
I would do this: Draw a flat Morph with your desired profile > Rotate it and place a copy on each node of the roof > Stretch each profile if necessary > Select all the flat profiles and make an "Union" > Draw Morph lines linking each profile node until it gets solid.
Hope this helps.
AC 7 - 27 SWE

Thanks for advising this tool and looks great but it's not suitable for us we are trying to avoid any necessary plugins unfortunately.

Kristian wrote:
We have a tool for Archicad that can do it: https://cadswift.com.au/products/Swift-Gutter-Plus.html
It is called "Swift Gutter Plus" and covers the 4 main elements of roof edges:
Fascia (bargeboard),
Gutter,
Downpipes, and
Soffit Lining.
We have spent some time on the "bargeboard" making sure that it joins correctly in all sorts of arrangements. One of our main clients is a builder of high end country homes who produces all trade packages directly from Archicad and even sends cutting list from Archicad to their factory. Therefore they required the bargeboard to mimic true life situations of custom homes for accurate cutting from their automated system.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.
AC 7 - 27 SWE

Barry Kelly
The problem is that your roofs are different pitches.
Actually that is not the problem in itself, it is the extension to the ridge forming the apex.

On the first rise the barge face is vertical and follows the roof slope.
The top of the barge profile is perpendicular to the face of the barge (i.e. horizontal).

Have a look at the next section of the roof.
Take a section square to the roof edge.

You will see the roof slopes at an angle.
You need to measure that and incline only that rail segment so it is perpendicular to that slope.
This means the front of the barge will not be vertical.

The connection will still not be perfect as there needs to be a transition.
Play around with the connection - this is what I did.

If you want a vertical face you will have to create a second profile for that section, or split the top a bottom of the barge into two separate rails.

NOTE. Because you have edited the railing and customised 2 segments, you will need to select the connection at that corner junction only and edit it.
Changing the connection for the entire railing will not be what you want to do and may not even affect those customised segments.

If you are doing this with beams or morphs, you will have a similar problem.
And you will still have to work out transitions at the corners.
Just like they will have to do on site.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Vojtech,
Vojtech wrote:
Thanks I usually using word like : "vindskiva"(swedish) and google told me that is "Bargeboard" . Good to know
My bad. It seems that roof "vocabulary" is very complex, and actually has an element called Bargeboard.

Vojtech wrote:
I don't understand how you mean union I have this joins
Can I rotate plane (photo 2) and continue with another direction/angel ?
I mean: You can model/draw individual profiles in key nodes and stretch them according to the desired outcome. Like this:

When you get the correct profiles in the correct position, then you select all of them > Right Click > Boolean Operation > Union. Now they are part of a single geometry. You can now stat to draw individual edges connecting the profile nodes. Perhaps this is technic is brute force compared to Kristian solution, but I think it can do the job.

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!