Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Auto change tools as per layer combination?

henrybs14
Participant
Does anyone know a way to set up the tools to change what layer they on?
Like I mean I go to my bracing plan with all my layer combinations and my line tool changes to "Documentation Bracing"

and then I go to eletrical and my line tool changes to "Documentation Eletrical"

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Admittedly my office is working with archicad 15 till we get 17, but I doubt that would make a difference.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be amazing.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've often thought this would be a good idea. It might be tricky to set up for all tools to have individually settings, but if a layer combo had a default layer assigned for any new elements it would be a step in the right direction.

Make a wish...
Barry Kelly
Your best solution would be to set up favourites for each line.
These will change the layer, line type pen colour, etc., all at the same time.
So instead of changing the layer and the setting the line properties just select the line tool and then select the favourite you want to use and all will be set for you.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is also the "Active Layer" tool which allows you to define whether all new elements are on "individual layers", or "one active layer for all element types". Doesn't save with the view, though.
henrybs14
Participant
Thanks for your suggestions guys.

I think i'll have to go with favoties or pallet to the side with tools to suck up with the eye dropper.

I read about the active layers yesterday, but couldn't really understand it fully, might look into that see if i can get my head round it and see if its what I want.

In the mean time I think my work mates will have to learn how to use layers properly.

Would be so amazing if archicad did have layer combinations for tools, who knows maybe it will come one day
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I am the author of a tool called BIMFast which is exactly targeting this problem. the principle is that BIMFast provides a floating palette in which each button targets an hot linked module. your job is to prepare any collection of preset elements and save it as a hot linked module. whenever you press one of BIMFast button, it will instantly import the hot linked module linked to this button. easy to set as you make your own modules. I truly prefer such visual method rather than using the tedious list of favourites.

if you are keen of seeing a video look for BIMFast on you tube
Anonymous
Not applicable
SO - You are working in a particular type of plan view , well ... use trace to bring in the legend that you have already made for this plan type (electrical, finish, whatever). Make sure the legend's line types, text, pens etc are set correctly.

NOW - you can visually absorb (Alt+Click) all the attributes from your traced legend. Pen color, layer, line type, renovation phase, etc. This method is quite easy to implement with all 2D tools - if you need 3D tools it gets complicated - stick to favorites in those cases.

NOTE: I say easy with 2D because I keep my legends on worksheets so I am limited to 2D info, if you keep your legends on a plan viewpoint, then 3D elements aren't an issue.