Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Auto-update slowness

Mjules
Mentor
ArchiCAD is too slow when working on complex architectural projects. The software updates anytime, and I have to wait up to 3 minutes for each update. Each change I make in the drawings corresponds to an update. Solving this issue may help Graphisoft find new clients in very competitive markets like Canada and USA for example.

Other important things are to make old tools like Morph, Curtain Wall, Column, Roof, etc. complete. There are too many incomplete tools in ArchiCAD, and this doesn't help during the architectural and urban design process.
Martin Luther Jules
AC 10-27 (Full)
Asus | 64 GB RAM | Windows 11
17 REPLIES 17
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Rob,

We are actually talking about the Auto-Rebuild of Tabs.
We are not talking about Auto-Update of Views placed on Layouts as Drawings.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
PVBergkrantz
Expert
rob2218 wrote:
the "hangup" by deactivating the "auto update" is that heaven forbid you are in a crunch and just go to publish the PDF set....and notice your views are NOT updated.....yer screwed.

Also...auto-update keeps everything current.

I don't know why there's even the ability to NOT auto-update.
silly in my opinion. you ALWAYS want your views...ALL your views...updated at all times.
If you are working with layouting stuff on multiple pages with a couple of facades on each, jumping between pages, moving text, etc its a big pain to have auto update on. But there should be a third option, "auto update on publish".
| AC 25 Int | Win10 | i7-7800X | 32 GB | GeForce RTX 2060 6GB |

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
My "Best Practice" is to use the Drawing Manager to check the status of all Drawings and update them as necessary before publishing. That way it can be guaranteed that they will all display the latest state of the project, even if they are set to "Manual Update".
rob2218
Enthusiast
LaszloNagy wrote:
Rob,

We are actually talking about the Auto-Rebuild of Tabs.
We are not talking about Auto-Update of Views placed on Layouts as Drawings.
Ok, I see...I get it. the "tabs" that you have open at the time of your work session. I get it. Still......don't have so many tabs "open"....just keep the floor plan tab, or ONE elevation tab or ONE 3d tab and that's it....why have 12 to 16 tabs open for "when" you need to jump into them.....dunno but I've always found that those 'tabs' that are at the top are a bit distracting. Sure..you may say they are convenient but they take up a lot of resource power from your machine.
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
slavapolic
Contributor

Hi All,

I am having an issue as well, with the "drawing update" when on sheets of layout book. The views update as they always did, I do NOT want to ever have to use the manual update, for many of my own reasons.
However this feels like either an Archicad 25 problem or my new PC problem, as I havent had this issue on my old inferior pc, while using Archicad 24.

The current/new PC is a Dell Precision 7920 Tower XCTO Base with

Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4210R CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.39 GHz
 64GB 4x16GB DDR4 2933MHz RDIMM ECC Memory
NVIDIA Quadro RTX4000, 8GB, 3DP, VirtualLink (XX20T)
and  M.2 1TB PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive 

Please help, this is extremely irritating, every new layout i open, i need to first stand by for a couple of minutes.

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

You activate a Layout and you have to wait for a couple of minutes for placed Drawings to update? That sound extremely long. Those placed Drawings should update within seconds, not minutes.

Can you show one such Layout and show how a Drawing that needs so much time to update looks like placed on that Layout?

slavapolic
Contributor

Hi Laszlo,

not a couple of minutes (I exaggerated, apologies), however, more than 10 seconds. I dont want to be a primadonna but even 15-20 seconds is too long if you need to be shifting through a set of layouts, am i wrong? I dont have this issue on other pc's so Im hoping its just a matter of a hidden setting as this pc is superior on paper.

slavapolic_0-1655739966507.png

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

What are those colorful things on the right side of the Layout? Are the schedules placed as Drawings on the Layout? If they are, I wonder if that is the cause of the slowness. Archicad probably has to regenerate the Schedules every time and then update.

If you want to investigate a little bit you can try things like:

1. Delete all Drawings that come from Schedules, and see how fast the update is.

2. Delete the Drawings that come from Floor Plans, and see how fast the update is.

That way you may find that one or the other causes most of the update time.

Also, you said that you don't have this issue on other computers. Are you saying that if you work on this exact same file on another computer with the same Archicad version, your Update times are much faster? If so, there is probably something specific to this computer that causes the slowness.