BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

AutoCAD "Block", Sketchup "Component" equivalent in Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there an equivalent in Archicad to creating a block in AutoCAD or a Component in sketchup? I have essentially made a pretty complex piece of millwork (made from walls, slabs, beams, etc..) that i would like to make a "component" out of so that I can multiply it, mirror it, etc.

I know I can just group it and copy it and mirror it, but the height of the piece may change in the future and i would rather just make the edits to one and have it update all of the copies...

any advice?

I just wish archicad had the "component feature that sketchup has...
9 REPLIES 9
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Try using hotlinked modules.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
but you cant easily edit hotlinked modules... dont you have to open them up separately?
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
That is an option. You can also edit them in place by breaking and saving them again. Or you can have a workspace inside your model for the modules. Different solutions work in different situations.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin, could you explain what you mean by "have a workspace inside your model for the modules"? as far as i can tell the only way to work with modules is to either open them in a new Archicad instance or to break the link-->edit-->relink. Am I missing something?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Man hotlinks are just dumb...

We are using teamwork, and the 2 checkboxes are grayed out:
-Apply offset/rotation of most recently broken hotlinked module
-Replace selection with this hotlinked module

So after doing some testing this is what i found.
If i make a hotlink, mirror a copy and then rotate another copy. Then I explode on of the hotlinks (because "break" is grayed out in teamwork) then i make some changes, save at hotlink and overwrite the previous module. Whenever i choose to refresh the other hotlinks they all are placed on on top of another in the same place and orientation of the edited one....

The fact that certain settings for hotlinks don't work in teamwork make the hotlinks module useless.... sigh...
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I don't use teamwork, sorry, wasn't aware of that.

My typical use of modules for repeating elements is to have one instance grouped (not saved as module), save that as module, place the modules where I need the other instances. Any changes needed are made to the module.

Another tip is to not expect program X to work like program Y. This generally leads to frustration.

There also generally isn't one 'best solution' for everything. What works for me, might seem cumbersome and stupid to you.
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Barry Kelly
adambeazley wrote:
Man hotlinks are just dumb...

We are using teamwork, and the 2 checkboxes are grayed out:
-Apply offset/rotation of most recently broken hotlinked module
-Replace selection with this hotlinked module
Does your teamwork user role have the correct permissions to change what you want and have you reserved the hotlinks that you want to change?

Sorry if this is the wrong terminology as I don't use teamwork - I just know that you can only do what you have been allowed to and you have to request ownership of anything you want to change.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
rob2218
Enthusiast
you could select all the pieces, go to "FILE>LIBRARIES AND OBJECTS>SAVE SELECTION AS>OBJECT" and reinsert it into the file. Remember...that this will be a dumb object. Only stretchable. you wont' be able to add any parametric type parameters unless you know GDL coding but for a simple type 'block' if you will, that will only need to be stretched or resized....it'll suffice. Mind you that the proportions will get a bit whacked if you want to keep a certain sizing of the parts in the newly saved "object".
adambeazley wrote:
Is there an equivalent in Archicad to creating a block in AutoCAD or a Component in sketchup? I have essentially made a pretty complex piece of millwork (made from walls, slabs, beams, etc..) that i would like to make a "component" out of so that I can multiply it, mirror it, etc.

I know I can just group it and copy it and mirror it, but the height of the piece may change in the future and i would rather just make the edits to one and have it update all of the copies...

any advice?

I just wish archicad had the "component feature that sketchup has...
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
rob2218
Enthusiast
here's a pretty good tutorial on how to make/edit/ and customize an "object" with parameters. it's the equivalent of an Autocad "block" with "attributes"....good luck.

This dude...Eric, knows what he's doing. Smart guy. see his tutorials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_-e8BQPd24&list=PLQ6KLs0EioinQBBF3ki9FxuKV9Hctf9IO&index=1
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
Learn and get certified!