BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Autosave files location

Vinicius Lima
Booster

If you have more than one project open, and you have an energy cut/failure, when you restart the computer and Archicad, all projects that were open, appears in that start-page. Great! BUT, you have to choose just one to recover in this moment. To recover the other ones, you have two ways:
1: open the Archicad, recover one project, save, close Archicad, start it again, start-page, choose another, one by one until it ends...
OR
2 (MAC): Finder > Go > Go to file... > ~/library > Application Support > Graphisoft > Autosave-25 folder > Find your desired project ".fdb" file, in between several folder and ".fdb" files... (ohhhh my)!
The 2 solution, I refuse myself to do. So, I only take solution 1, that could be hard sometimes.
It should be great, if these autosave files, appears in "File > Recent Files" or even better, make sense create an exclusive section for autosave files in this "files "menu.

- Vinícius Lima - user since Archicad 12
from Brazil
Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2023 | M2 Pro | 16Gb RAM | macOS Ventura 13.5.2
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Solution

Open Applescrit editor, type:

do shell script "open -n '/Applications/GRAPHISOFT/Archicad 26 Apple Silicon/Archicad 26.app'"

And save as An application, with "run only".

Paste into the folder and drag to launch bar. Of course you have to correct the path to the application if that's the case.
the "-n" argument after open and before the path tells OS to open a new instance.

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 11.07.43.png

Archicad User Since 2013
GDL Developer
Experimenting with API
from Brazil

View solution in original post

Solution
Eduardo Rolon

True about the window but wrong about it being the only way to open them.

If one of the 3 crashes and you select to create a New file from one of the remaining sessions with launch a new instance of AC selected you will get an option to open the "crashed" file.

Does not matter how many other files you have opened and closed meanwhile, but try to recover it as soon as possible.

EduardoRolon_0-1711330026205.png

EduardoRolon_0-1711329586201.png

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21
Barry Kelly

@Vinicius Lima wrote:

1: open the Archicad, recover one project, save, close Archicad, start it again, start-page, choose another, one by one until it ends...

I can't say I have ever had to recover more than one file at a time, but couldn't you just open multiple Archicads?

There should be no need to open, recover, save, close, open, recover, save, close....

Each Archicad you open should have the same start screen with all of the files to be recovered I would have thought.

So just open, recover, save, open, recover, save....

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Actually in Mac the Archicad dock icon, does not give me the option of opening a second/third Archicad (even with the second mouse click). And I cannot put anything on the desktop because of the company restrictions. But, the point is that it feels that autosave files are hidden from the users, while it should be easier to find, because it works very fine, and it's an important safety matter.

from Brazil
Solution

Open Applescrit editor, type:

do shell script "open -n '/Applications/GRAPHISOFT/Archicad 26 Apple Silicon/Archicad 26.app'"

And save as An application, with "run only".

Paste into the folder and drag to launch bar. Of course you have to correct the path to the application if that's the case.
the "-n" argument after open and before the path tells OS to open a new instance.

Screenshot 2023-09-25 at 11.07.43.png

Archicad User Since 2013
GDL Developer
Experimenting with API
from Brazil

Vitor, 
this is exactly what I'm looking for. You nailed it! Thanks! 

from Brazil
annelesperance
Participant

I went to look for the recommended file location and there is nothing there.  Any idea why it would direct itself to save in a file location that does not exist?

Any clue on how to find autosaved files if this is the case?  Somehow a much older version of my file is back to a much older version and I have lost weeks of updates.

Please help.

Screen Shot 2024-03-14 at 12.27.36 PM.png

Hello my friend. 
You should go to the "User" Library (last file in the second column of your printscreen - not the general library as you did)... But you should do like I said using the command "Go" in the finder top-menu, than "Go to file..." and type "~/library" and hit  enter... Because this library is a folder that the OS keeps (normaly) "hidden"... 
See if it works... let me know! Good luck.

from Brazil

Thank you for replying, Vinicius-

I tried that too but in that folder there is no Application Support Folder- see attached

Then I tried what you said- "Go" in the finder top-menu, than "Go to file..." and type "~/library" and hit  enter...  and nothing happened.

Screen Shot 2024-03-14 at 3.25.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2024-03-14 at 12.27.36 PM.png

I only see "Go to Folder"  not "Got to File"  

The second print its right. Should have worked. I found this link in the web, try it too:
(might be something different in you OS setup, see that the link describles the 2º option just like I did)

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360020012418-Accessing-the-Hidden-User-Libr...

from Brazil
Learn and get certified!