BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Back-saving Library Objects

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi all,
I'm new to ArchiCAD and, therefore, to this forum. I hope somebody knows the solution for my topic, in case there is one. I modeled part of my library in ArchiCAD 22, which I need to access from ArchicCAD 21 now. Is it possible to back-save library objects from versions 22 to 21 ?

Thanks for your help in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Barry Kelly
You could try adding those objects to the embedded library in the 22 file and then 'Save as' in version 21 format.
This should convert the embedded objects as well.

If that doesn't work then possibly the LP_XMLConveter might be able to help can't say though as I have never really played with it.

As a last resort, start a new object in 21, create all the parameters and then copy and paste the scripts.

The embedded library should work though - I have done that before.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Barry,

Thanks for you response. Back-saving saving the file with the embedded library creates a bug report, not sure why. Also, once I open the project in AC21 only those objects created in the early version are visible.

I may try the last resource you listed given the amount of time I'm spending on just trying to recover. I would have imagined the last 2 versions of AC would be more compatible for a simple task like this.

I appreciate your help Barry!
Joachim Suehlo
Advisor
I am using XML Converter often for backwards migrating.
If you send me a private mail, I can do this for you, because it is very easy,
except the objects are damaged or using GDL commands that ArchiCAD 21 does not know.
Jochen Suehlo . AC12-27 . MAC OSX 14.4 . WIN11
GDL object creation: b-prisma.de
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and sorry it took me days to respond. The objects I created were based on morphs, which means that the script window is empty. Do you think this is still workable?

The current objects are not complex so I could model them again, yet this is an issue that we may encounter in the future and we would like to figure out how to deal with this.
Barry Kelly
m wrote:
The objects I created were based on morphs, which means that the script window is empty. Do you think this is still workable?
Saving a morph as an object should make quite large scripts, especially for the 3D.
I am not sure why it would be empty - unless maybe it was saved as a 'binary' object.

Adding the object to the embedded library should convert it back to the previous version (I would think even if it is a binary object - but I haven't tried that).
The only exception would be if the version you are starting from has created commands in the script that did not exist in that earlier version.
But that shouldn't be a problem for 22 to 21 unless it is a stair - stairs from 22 will not transfer back to 21.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!