BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Backward Compatibility for Library Parts

Anonymous
Not applicable
Back saving from ARCHICAD 20 to ARCHICAD 19

I am having an issue with Library objects not showing in ArchiCAD 19 after back saving from an ArchiCAD 20 file. * (I'm not sure if it's relevant, although I'm switching from a Mac to Windows as well).

The objects I am most notably missing are all of my windows. i.e window 20, double window 20, triple window 20 etc., along with a few others. I seem to have most of my doors although missing a pocket door. The strange thing about the pocket door is it that I had 3 of them, 2 transferred to Pocket Door 19 and 1 stayed as Pocket Door 20 (which is the one not showing).

The following page suggests that by back saving from 20 to 19, any library parts that were revised for 20 will be automatically replaced by their original counterparts in version 19. This isn't happening for me.
https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/guides/archicad-20/archicad-20-reference-guide/migration_guide_for...

The steps I have taken are as follows.....

1. Created project in Archicad 20 (MacOS 10)

2. Back-Saved project as Archicad 19 Version in ArchiCAD 20 (MacOS 10)

3. Opened project in Archicad 19 (Windows 7) - 'missing objects'

I also tried adding the ArchiCAD 20 Library in Library manager to try and pick up the missing objects, but it didn't work.

The only reason I am back saving to Archicad 19 is because my work computer is Windows 7. I did install Archicad 20 on the Windows 7 computer, but the line work shows up really broken and dull.

I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have since verified that opening the file between Mac & Windows has no relevance to my missing object problem. I repeated the procedure strictly on Mac and had the same issue.
All depends on the objects...
Basically to be able to work on 2 versions it is better to use the library from the older version.
It is possible to downgrade the lib parts via embedded library (the easy way), however might bot work if the objects are using the commands working with the newer version and upwards.

Best Regards,
Piotr
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
You should move all those Library Parts into the Embedded Library before saving back to the previous version.
The Embedded Library is part of the ARCHICAD Project File so ARCHICAD can do something with it (like convert it back to an older version) without affecting any other Project File.
Library Parts in a Linked Library is another matter. If ARCHICAD modified those Library Parts, it could potentially mess up things with other Projects that are using the same Linked Libraries.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!