Parametric design
About Rhino & Grasshopper and PARAM-O.

'Baking' Elements from GH to ArchiCAD

0scar
Newcomer
Hi folks,
Yet another simple (and basic) question.
I have a written a script in Grasshopper that basically generates a façade in front of a wall. I am happy with the result and now want to 'bake' the objects into ArchiCAD (as I would in Rhino), that is to say, make them permanent. I know that I loose the parametric functionality at this point and I am fine with that. I know I could brake the connection, but I want to use the script on different parts of the model later (and purge the originally referenced walls from GH for faster computation). Which is the best way to do that? As I see it now any object generated from GH will always 'remember' that it is a GH object and hence be influenced by the script. And of course the bake command in GH will bake it the element to Rhino (where it is useless to me, unless of course I then would build a hotlink pipeline to AC but that seems way to complicated). Any advice/best practice?
Best,
0scar
WIN 10 Pro // AC 23 3003 // Xeon E3-1505M v6 // 32GB RAM // Intel HD Graphics P630 // NVidia Quadro M2200
8 REPLIES 8
mikas
Expert
This might not be what you asked for, but if you just copy the generated elements, like with "drag with alt" copy, they will become independent elements of ArchiCAD element types, and AC configuration only.

At least that's how I did it some time ago, if I remember it right. You might want to make a switch for original GH generated elements to be invisible or off.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
0scar
Newcomer
Mikas,
thanks for the reply. That is what I actually did now. But it seems a bit off to me that I have to build a pipeline with all the geometry then "copy" the elements so that they become permanent and move them back to the original place. But for now this is what I will do. But the bake functionality in Rhino is pretty neat it seems, this could be a more convenient way in my opinion.
WIN 10 Pro // AC 23 3003 // Xeon E3-1505M v6 // 32GB RAM // Intel HD Graphics P630 // NVidia Quadro M2200
mikas
Expert
Agreed.
AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS

Has anyone found a good solution for this problem? There must be a way to break the connection to the created elements in Archicad permanently. So that if I reconnect to Grasshopper, the elements don't connect again, but are 'normal' Archicad elements. And I can use the Grasshopper script for some other elements.

@mikas : What kind of switch did you suggest? Inside of Grasshopper or just changing the layer in Archicad?

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

You could try selecting all Grasshopper-created elements and make a copy of them. That way the copies will no longer be connected to and be dependent on Grasshopper as they will be new elements within Archicad with new GUIDs, so that should work in theory. You should try it though to see if it works I do not have Grasshopper right now.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Joel Koilpillai
Contributor

Hi, thank you for the answer. I know that this method works, it is just very impractical. A baking button like in Rhino would be the way to go. Hopefully soon to come.

Hiroaki SAITO
Participant

I would strongly agree with you about the need to isolate the elements by bake.

DaniMunthali
Contributor

There is an option to break the connection of elements in Archicad created from Grasshopper with Grasshopper. The option has always been there, but its location has changed several times. Currently to do so requires the following steps:

1. Go to the menubar
  2. On the menubar go to windows
  3. Then go to palettes
  4. Then go to Grasshopper Connection

A new palette will come up, whereby if you have the elements in Archicad from generated from Grasshopper selected, you have a button to unlock the elements, whereby they will no longer respond to any actions from Grasshopper. In the palette look for the icon and text to unlock the elements.

breakACGHconnection1.pngbreakACGHconnection2.png