Collaboration with other software
About model and data exchange with 3rd party solutions: Revit, Solibri, dRofus, Bluebeam, structural analysis solutions, and IFC, BCF and DXF/DWG-based exchange, etc.
SOLVED!

Basic handling of 2D Imports

Daniel Borscz
Participant

Hello everyone,

I've got some basic questions regarding the import of 2D elements from e.g. DWG files, that I just can't find sufficient answers to. Importing them into a project isn't an issue at all, however the problems start once the imported files are exploded to adjust them. Currently using Archicad 25.

For example:
As my company switched to Archicad rather recently, we usually use older projects (made with 2D CAD programs) as references. Usually those old files are DWGs/DXFs and the like.
Once imported and exploded objects like dashed lines turn into lots of single lines, or text windows get cut off mid-word.

The question is basically, what are possibilities to bypass problems such as the ones mentioned above?

Are we using the wrong type of translator? (Usually using 1.5 for 2D and 3D Imports)
Do we need to adjust the settings of the translators properly? If yes what would those settings look like?
Do we have to process such issues by hand?

Many thanks in advance for the advice.

ArchiCAD since 24
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Djordje
Ace

Why are you exploding? if only for reference, bring into the Worksheet, show that worksheet as Trace Reference, trace...

If you want to reuse a part of it, redo it in Archicad... you get all the benefits, and no drawbacks.

Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Solution
Djordje
Ace

Why are you exploding? if only for reference, bring into the Worksheet, show that worksheet as Trace Reference, trace...

If you want to reuse a part of it, redo it in Archicad... you get all the benefits, and no drawbacks.

Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Daniel Borscz
Participant

Thanks for this quick answer.
I hoped I might get an answer to bypass the need for tracing and redrawing, to save some time on needed adjustments.

The reason to explode them is basically what you've already mentioned.
Sometimes those older files have objects we don't need, or we just want to adjust the lenght and width of the parts we do need. We also have older files from long time clients, that need minor adjustments every now and then.
But after reading your answer, it seems that handling those in our old 2D program or plain up rebuilding them into a 3D model seems to be the quicker option.

ArchiCAD since 24