Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Beam Centerlines Showing Up When Beams are Hidden???

Jeff Galbraith
Advocate
Why does the beam centerline show up for a beam that is hidden? ie: We set beams to be visible 'Within Floor Plan range' so that they can be viewed from above for structural plans as well as from below for reflected ceiling plans. This generally works well, with the one drawback that we cannot use beam centerlines. If we turn centerlines on they will show up for overhead beams that are beyond the cut plane settings. The beam itself doesn't show up...just the centerlines. Any way to fix this?
Jeff G

Archicad 27 USA (full), Macbook Pro (16-inch 2023, M3 MAX, 128 GB RAM)
7 REPLIES 7
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Do you know that there is an MVO setting that can control Beam contour/axis display?
If you use the "Contour Only" option, your axis (centerline) will not be displayed.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Jeff Galbraith
Advocate
Yes Laszlo, I am aware of that. The problem here is that I want some beams to show up with their centerlines but I want others to be invisible. ie: I want beams above the cut plane to show up in a reflected ceiling plan, while beams below the cut plane should be hidden. And in plan views I want beams below the cut plane to show up in the plan while beams above the cut plane would be hidden.

This is one of the many elaborate work-arounds we have to do to get reflected ceiling plans to work in Archicad.

It seems pretty straightforward that we should be able to achieve this using the 'show to floorpan range' option for beams. Meaning the beams should only show up when they fall within the floor plan's vertical range cut plane settings. Unfortunately this appears to only work for the contours, no the centerlines.

Is this the way the tool is intended to work, or is it a bug?

If it's the way Graphisoft intended I would question the logic. I can't think of a time where I want the centerline visible but not the contours. It also doesn't seem logical that the centerline should ignore the object visibility settings.
Jeff G

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
OK, now I think I understand what you are trying to do.
I checked this. I set the top of the Floor Plan Range to -1000 mm below the above Story, so in a Story that is 3000 mm high, the Floor Plan Range is from 0 mm of the Story to 2000 mm of the Story.
Then I placed a Beam that is fully above the 2000 mm upper limit of the Floor Plan Range, and set its "Show Projection" field to "To Floor Plan Range". And true, the contours of the Beam are not visible, whereas its Centerline is.

So, actually, I agree with you that in such a case, the Centerline should not be visible either.
So, I will forward this to Graphisoft so they can investigate it.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Dontknow
Enthusiast
I always use these settings:

This way I only see the beams in the section where I want to see them.
Architectural construction designer, draftsman, modeller
ArchiCAD 25.
Jeff Galbraith
Advocate
Thanks Laszlo
Jeff G

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Jeff and Laci,

Thank you very much for reporting the issue!

With Laci's detailed reproduction steps, we were able to reproduce the issue in-house. I have created a Support Case about this in our system. Once I receive any news about the investigation, I will share it here.

I wish you all a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear All,

After discussing with our developers and designers, we believe that this is a bug. The Axis should not be visible for beam in such cases. We entered it as defect DEF-6045. Hopefully, it won't be a difficult one to fix!

Thank you once again, and have a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT