Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Beam Tool / Not coordinated with Beam Objects in AC Library

rm
Expert
Does anyone know the logic of why GS includes a good selection of standard beam sizes and profile shapes in the AC Object library, but less then 10 listed in the drop down menu of the actual Beam Tool?

Am I missing something here, is there a way to get all the beam shapes and sizes in AC object library into the pull down menu in the Beam Tool?

I sure hope the solution is not to create a separate profile of each steel section then ad to the Profile Library, that would be nothing short of a waste of time.

Thanks!
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
5 REPLIES 5
Lingwisyer
Guru
rm wrote:
create a separate profile of each steel section then ad to the Profile Library, that would be nothing short of a waste of time.

Just select Import Steel Profile under the Complex Profile menu?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
The import steel profile button is bliss. Long ago I had a colleague who invented his own steel profiles. 'Good Times'... This function is 100% idiot proof!
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
rm
Expert
Lingwisyer wrote:
rm wrote:
create a separate profile of each steel section then ad to the Profile Library, that would be nothing short of a waste of time.

Ling.

Ling - thanks for the tip!!!
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
rm
Expert
Lingwisyer wrote:
rm wrote:

Ling.
So after testing this method a bit, while it does work, it is not importing the shapes precisely as they are model in the GDL objects. For example, a wide flange beam or C Beam, usually has rounded inside corners where the web meets the flange and is shown correctly in the GDL objects.

Once you import the same shape into the Complex Profiles, it simplifies the shape squaring of rounded inside or outside corners, making them perfect 90 corners. This may not seem like a big deal in many cases, but where you might be detailing other framings all coming together, it most certainly can cause detailing and construction problems.

So I revise my opinion here about this functionality, it is only ok, not great! Graphisoft really should take a closer look at how they have implemented this import feature, given AC is BIM software.....at least that's what I have read about it 😉
Robert Mariani
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for the question!

As far as I know, this is a design decision: with Complex profile, if you have curves in them, these curves will generate many polygons that will greatly affect the project performance as the project grows. In case of GDL object, these curves are possible without creating polygons, therefore the curve is visible (and kept) in GDL objects, but not Complex profile.

I hope this answers your question! If you have any further issues, feel free to let me know!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT