Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.
SOLVED!

Beam and column intersection.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello again.

hope you guys do not judge me. trying to learn Archicad while doing my student project.

I have a problem when I was creating the beams cuz they get cut by the columns. how can I prevent that? Cuz I want the breams to cut the columns. and then it will hold the insulation and the roof.

Many thanks again.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Barry Kelly
Look at the strengths of your building materials.
The stronger material will cut the weaker one.
So make sure your beams are using a building material that is stronger than the column.

If they both have to be the same material then there is not lot you can do - I think columns will always cut beams.
Except duplicate the building material and make one slightly weaker than the other.
Then change the columns to use the weaker material.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Solution
Barry Kelly
So make sure your beams are using a building material that is stronger than the column.

If they both have to be the same material then there is not lot you can do - I think columns will always cut beams.
Except duplicate the building material and make one slightly weaker than the other.

Barry.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:

Barry.

Thank you so much. I thought there is another way to do that.
Laurent
Newcomer

Acctualy, you can also put priorities in your leyers. So if you have your beams and columns in diferent leyers you can atribute preference for your beams

@Laurent wrote:

Acctualy, you can also put priorities in your leyers. So if you have your beams and columns in diferent leyers you can atribute preference for your beams

Not exactly.

If the layers have the same priority numbers, then the beams and columns will trim based on the building material strength.

If the layers have different priority numbers, then elements between those layers will not trim at all - unless you force it with a Solid Element Operation.

There is no way to prioritise beams over columns except for the building material strengths or a manual SEO.

Elements (that take part in Priority Based Connections) that are in the same layer will always trim based on the building material strength, unless the layer priority is set to zero, then nothing in that layer will automatically trim to anything else in that layer.

Barry.

Versions 6.5 to 27
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Laurent,

Layers do not have Priority Numbers - that is a misnomer.

Layers have Intersection Group Numbers, so they can belong to different Layer Intersection Groups. (Note: Layer Intersection Group Numbers can be different in different Layer Combinations.)

Intersecting elements that belong to the same Layer Intersection Group will connect to each other, provided they are drawn correctly.
Elements on different Layer Intersection Groups will not connect.

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/25/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0#t=_AC25_Help%2F140_UserInterfaceD...

https://help.graphisoft.com/AC/25/INT/index.htm?rhcsh=1&rhnewwnd=0#t=_AC25_Help%2F020_Configuration%...

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27