Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Beams, view in Section / Elevation: how to control contours

nejcek74
Contributor
I have a drawing of canopy made with standard beams, one of them is RRW, , a box in section with filleted edges.
Problem is, in sections and elevations there is a line where fillet regions are connected.
Where do I control this parameter?
Archicad 22 on OS X 10.11.6
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
If it is part of a Complex Profile, then you can't hide it.
But you can always convert it to a morph and then select the edge and hide it manualy.
HTH.
nejcek74
Contributor
1. thanks for reply
2. I know the trick with morph, but (specially) in this phase morphs are not a solution, as they are not parametric
3. I will call it another annoying bug than, hopefully in version Archicad_73 it will be corrected
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. This is a tricky one.
I think this is due to a GDL limitation, where if you hide/mask the edge of the profile, and if you view it perpendicularly, then all the edge completely disappear, including the opposite adjoining surface that should be visible. I guess that a solution for this will need a very long time to come.
Meanwhile, you can always post a whish. At least GS will notice it.
As a dirty workaround, you could place a thick white line or a fill with background/white color and no contours over the line as a patch.
HTH.
DGSketcher
Legend
I think iirc that AC hides edges according to the angle of connection. Your drawing looks like it has taken your fillet and facetted the curve with 3 faces. Try splitting the fillet curve to force more faces on the curve or do the faceting yourself either manually or using the magic wand. Worth a try...
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
nejcek74
Contributor
Sadly, I am in a phase of "many variants" on daily basis, that's why workarounds are not working for me, as it means changing too many parts of the drawings. I have two options, listening to my boss saying:
option A): why is it taking so long to do a simple change
option B): why is this line here

- I tried and split the round part 4 more times, it sadly doesn't help, but strangely, additional visible line is only between the orthogonal and adjoining face. Does it mean that AC does not hide face according to the angle of connection but to some other rule?

- @Braza: how do you "hide/mask the edge of the profile"? is this something inside profile manager?

Yes, I wil try to move this to wishes.
Anonymous
Not applicable
nejcek74 wrote:
how do you "hide/mask the edge of the profile"? is this something inside profile manager?
No it is not. Its a GDL Command called Tube (or some other variation) that has some code options to hide nodes from the result geometry. In my experience you can't do anything about it.
If you are in a hurry, go for the thick line or fill patch.
nejcek74
Contributor
Ok, I did some more test and it is even more bizarre, if you are using curves in profile, there will be no line in elevation, even when there an obvious sharp corner.
I will drop it now, either I am becoming crazy or Archicad is using some script* that doesn't have any connection with how 2D (profile) should be translated into 3D (beam) and than back to 2D (elevation).
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. This edge hide/mask on profiles are a kind of "Bermuda Triangle"... This is probably why arches on Profile Editor are converted to faced segments.
If I were in your situation (where the extra line is bothering your boss) I would go for the patch.
Anonymous
Not applicable
nejcek74 wrote:
Yes, I wil try to move this to wishes.
Thanks. I already voted.
BTW: I forgot to suggest you to use, instead of a CP beam, an object called "RHS Cold-Formed Beam".
It is part of the standard AC library, very parametric and I think will suit all your needs.
It is a good workaround while we wait for the whish come true.
HTH.