Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Best Way to model a "lattice with hole" in it parametrically

rob2218
Enthusiast

what's the best modeling way?
...Bobby Hollywood live from...
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Windows7 -OS, MAC Maverick OS
8 REPLIES 8
Barry Kelly
The best way to make it parametric would be to script it in GDL so you have parameters for overall size, lattice size and spacing, hole size, shape position, etc.

But if scripting is not an option then I would use columns and slabs for the lattice.
These can easily be multiplied and distributed to get the equal spacing you need.

Then use a morph for the centre trim - you could use a tube object but not sure if there is an oval one (I know there is a circular tube object).

Use a second morph for the hole and use this with a Solid Element Operation to Subtract from the labs and columns - then hide centre hole morph in a hidden layer.

Not as parametric as GDL but you should still be able to adjust it fairly easily and duplicate it for other screens.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Barry Kelly
Here I used a lattice screen object (which unfortunately I can not share as it was not written by me) but it could just as easily been slabs and columns.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
rob2218
Enthusiast
Uggh.....
was hoping I wasn't going to need to resort to that "putting a mass in a layer I need to turn off" technique.
there's something....dunno, just not natural about creating a volume in space only to have to shut it down to get the "negative" result of what it provides.

What happens is you lose track of that "negative space" object and when you turn on all layers or when you move or edit other components being affected by that "negative space" object, well, you always lose track of where it's at......

Is there any other solution available for creating a vertical lattice, then adding a hole to it that you can move around within the lattice so it parametrically cleans itself up?
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
rob2218
Enthusiast
OK.....after giving it some "sleep time thought"...here's what I came up with:
1. create parametric lattice using a curtain wall object.
2. chose smaller members for frame and glass panel.
3. in the curtain wall, the glass panel can be replaced with a new material that you create that is "Glass-INVISIBLE" where the glass surface is 100% transmittance.
4. the "oval" is comprised of two objects- 1 object is a "tube" inserted from the "specialty shapes" folder. the other is a "cylinder" placed on it's side and inserted inside the tube object.
5. make the cylinder object the "Glass-INVISIBLE" material, make the 'tube" object something like pine or other material.
6. select both the tube and cylinder and rotate them so they are vertical.
7. select both tube and cylinder object again, convert to a morph object, then grab both cylinder and tube and convert to a library part (object) for it's stretchablilty effect it will have on the curtain wall.
8. then insert the newly created "OVAL" object. place it with the space of the curtain wall and execute an SEO (Solid Element Operation) where you subtract the "OVAL" object you created from the curtian wall.

Now you can move around that "oval" object with the same space as the curtain wall (Lattice) thickness and have it subtract from the curtain. Also you can make the "Oval" object any height, width and length since it is now 'an object'......VIOLA!

i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
Viola if your an Italian- "Bob's your Uncle" is your from the bottom side of the planet where the toilets swirl backwards when you flush'm.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

rob2218
Enthusiast
is it VIOLA or VOILA? never can get that straight.
I like Bob's Your Uncle though......suites me just fine
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23
in any case... I think your solution is very clever thinking. Thanks Uncle Bob for posting that.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

rob2218
Enthusiast
you're welcome Steve.
I guess sparks of creativity occur when you spend your time chatting over the phone with good folks like yourself......something good rubbed off. 😉
i>u
Edgewater, FL!
SOFTWARE VERSION:
Archicad 22, Archicad 23