Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Manager!

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Best story to host 3D topography

Nik
Booster

Hello everyone!

What is the best story to host 3D topography? Currently we are using our ground floor story (Level 0). This is fine but has a bit of risk, because if we change the height of the ground floor level it will also move the 3D topography. We have to manually move it back to the correct position. Is it better to create a story just for the topography, perhaps set at a fixed datum such as sea level?

It woud be very interesting to hear how other people manage 2D and 3D survey data and avoid things accidentally moving.

Cheers, Nik

12 REPLIES 12

I have stories for each space, walls, joist, walls, joist etc.

I place my grade or topo on the story below the main floor. Which if done right never moves. Even with a wall height change. I set my reference to top of foundation and boom.

Thanks. Sounds like a separate story for the topo is the way to go.

Nik

Yes.  Sooner or later Archicad users will discover that the Story does not need to be used strictly as a reference level for a Floor of the Building.  It can be used efficiently for any  reference Level of the Structure that is useful.  Bottom of Footing, Top of Footing, Top of Stem Wall, Top of Subfloor, Top of Wall... what ever you need it to be - AND as a reference for the Floor Levels of the Building.  I might also add that personally, I have never had any use for the Top Link Wall function either.  I think it is a dangerous function.  If I have modeled a Wall of some sort that is the wrong height, I want to see that - not have the wall just automatically adjust to fit between the Reference Levels/Stories and go unnoticed until you have modeled a lot of other things around that mistake.  Perhaps it is useful for something I am not aware of.  

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

I absolutely love the top links I use them consistently to define the default height of my walls for each space and by doing so when the client says oh I want another foot in my ceilings, it's split second to modify a story's height and keep everything exactly intact how you want it especially nice when meeting in real time to show the clients what the outcome is.

why not just put it on a separate Layer ?  You may also find it useful to have the topo in a View by its self so you can have it available for use with Trace Reference.   

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Most of the work I do is for new homes.  I already know from conversations with the clients/builders and the forms I have them fill out what the common/controlling wall heights are going to be. Its  based on cost, not any aesthetic or spatial considerations.   Usually 9' on the main floor, 8' on the second floor. This is based on common stud lengths( 104 5/8" or 92 5/8") and the width of dry wall being (48" or 54").  So I really don't have much need to be changing wall heights.  I adjust the Stories per the modeling - not the modeling per the Stories.  The depth of joists, subfloor, flooring, etc... change frequently as the floor plans evolve because of the spans.  Because of that, the Story/Reference Levels are being adjusted frequently, but the primary wall heights are something I want to be static no matter how the Story/Reference Levels are changing.  I never want anything to automatically adjust to a Story.  It would be more rational (I think) if the Story/Reference Level would automatically adjust to a designated Element.  And why does the Top Link only work on Walls and Columns ?  Change the name of the Story function to "Reference Level" and make it relative to anything we choose.     

Honestly you only make half sense. If you are using stories to control other heights why not all of it. If you change the stories correctly you can have everything linked that can and it always pans out. You can change the joist depth and still keep an exact wall height. I do lots of high end custom so I have to be able to adjust anything and everything on the fly while they watch.

But even when I did production homes we had options for heights and that changed regularly so top links were a godsend to take 5 seconds to change a wall height.

And maybe it comes down to how one  uses the stories, but for me it's 100 percent logical and saves me a ton of time.

Absolutely. What a lost opportunity to not link walls. Especially with the way you do it with separate storeys for floor assemblies. I don't have separate stories for floor assemblies, but I think I might give that a try. Totally eliminates the concern Steve has about floor depths changing.

ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Even with top linked walls and columns, you can still set up the bottom and top to show to project zero.

We have our terrain on a separate story.

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5