BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Brick Moulding

toman311
Enthusiast
How would I go about trying to get a window with brick moulding. The windows in ArchiCAD come with settings to adjust a piece of wood which runs along the side of the brick, but the depth of this piece is not adjustable. So, it cannot be used as brick moulding since it runs along the whole thickness of the wall. Plus, if I want to make that "brick moulding' wider, if I wanted to use it as brick moulding, then it extends its width over the window so the window gets overlapped. It would need to extend the width in the other direction, which is away from the window.

I read that the brick moulding could be done with the shell tool in ArchiCAD. If this is possible, how would I go about doing this. At first glance, the shell tool doesn't seem to be the right tool for this.
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
5 REPLIES 5
toman311
Enthusiast
I guess this is one solution. I used the Morph tool to draw the brick molding in. I would have to draw this on every window and door though. Is there any other way?

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If you are modelling what you show in the photo, I would make the moulding part of a complex profile wall.

If you just want the bottom sill of the window to extend, there should be a setting for that in the window dialog.

Our library is obviously NL library, but the parts are just translated from the international library for the most part, AFAIK, so I am going to assume the US library has the same functionality / pictures.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
toman311
Enthusiast
Erwin wrote:
If you are modelling what you show in the photo, I would make the moulding part of a complex profile wall.
I guess you mean a complex profile beam?? That would probably be easier to be more accurate then modeling with the morph tool!

Erwin Edel
Rockstar
No, I mean complex profile wall.

The photo you show has the 'sill' extend along the entire wall.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
toman311
Enthusiast
Oh, I see now. I didn't notice that sill when I found the picture. I was just looking for brick moulding.

Learn and get certified!