Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Brick bonding on Archicad

Anonymous
Not applicable
is there a way to do a brick bonding plan on archicad? when i need to use structural wall on my projects i always do it manually, but i would like to know if there is a way to do it faster with parameters or something. i already searched for this topic but i couldn't find anything - or maybe i just don't know how to write it correctly to find something. thank you!

ps: i'm not sure if the sentence is correct, since english is not my first language. what i mean to say is how to do this:
11 REPLIES 11
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Our local reseller has made some dimensioning objects for this purpose that follow the typical method of documentation here, maybe check with your reseller if they have any tips / methods for this.

Can't say I've ever drafted the individual blocks. Nor do I know of any bricklayers that would bother to look at a drawing with individual blocks.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
You can create a symbol fill with your brick/block top view dimensions, apply it to a Building Material and set its orientation to "Fit to skin". Then in your floor plan, set your Partial Structure Display to "Core only". Finally you will have to set the origins of your walls to match your project specifications.
Haven't tried this, but I think it could do the trick.
Hope this helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erwin wrote:
Our local reseller has made some dimensioning objects for this purpose that follow the typical method of documentation here, maybe check with your reseller if they have any tips / methods for this.

Can't say I've ever drafted the individual blocks. Nor do I know of any bricklayers that would bother to look at a drawing with individual blocks.

oh, i see! in my case, i don't have any contact with archicad resellers in brazil, but i'll search about this. thank you for the answer! i made this topic because i'm doing an budget (?) project - i don't really know how to say this in english - for uni and my professor asked for the brick bonding.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Braza wrote:
You can create a symbol fill with your brick/block top view dimensions, apply it to a Building Material and set its orientation to "Fit to skin". Then in your floor plan, set your Partial Structure Display to "Core only". Finally you will have to set the origins of your walls to match your project specifications.
Haven't tried this, but I think it could do the trick.
Hope this helps.
thank you! i tried doing this and it worked! the only problem is that i need to know when i can use bigger or smaller bricks to fill the wall completely, since the symbol fill only uses a specific size of brick repeatly.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Simple brick bonds typically are dimensioned in 'heads' here in the Netherlands. This is the header of a brick plus the mortar in between. The bricks are 100x210x50 mm typically, meaning you have repeating pattern of 110 mm (the 'head') adding and substracting 10 mm for the joints where needed. You just write the amount of 'heads' or 'heads' plus or minus the joint below the dimensions. Again no bricklayer is going to lay down a drawing and count all the individual bricks you drafted. They just want to know at a glance how many bricks are needed for a wall and the openings and so on.

Maybe in Brazil things work different of course... but in my experience it is ussually the professors who have no idea about actual building practice
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
vdentello
Advocate
I do it with GDL objects and the Array function. Coding all the blocks in a single element makes it harder for "decisions" like wall joinings.
Plus, it won't allow easy selection of individual blocks for mapping like I had to do.
Archicad User Since 2013
GDL Developer
Experimenting with API
from Brazil
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice vdentello!
vdentello wrote:
I do it with GDL objects and the Array function.
You mean the multiply command, right?
Yes, your solution seems more efficient.
Erwin wrote:
Nor do I know of any bricklayers that would bother to look at a drawing with individual blocks
Yes. Here in Europe this seems surreal, but in countries like Brazil, Architects must be prepared to produce construction documents for self construction projects. I think this is the intent of the exercise. More like Ikea instructions.
Anonymous
Not applicable
vdentello wrote:
I do it with GDL objects and the Array function. Coding all the blocks in a single element makes it harder for "decisions" like wall joinings.
Plus, it won't allow easy selection of individual blocks for mapping like I had to do.

yes!! this is what i usually do when i need to use structural walls on my projects. i just thought that maybe there would be a solution using the property manager or something that would make my life easier haha but i guess it can't be helped. at least doing it one by one can be a really good way to learn some things about building practice.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
Braza wrote:
Yes. Here in Europe this seems surreal, but in countries like Brazil, Architects must be prepared to produce construction documents for self construction projects. I think this is the intent of the exercise. More like Ikea instructions.
Ouch, talk about billable hours for producing drawings like that
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5