Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Brick window sill behavior is quirky

4hotshoes
Advisor
I have windows set in walls with brick veneer. Each window has a brick sill. I set the depth of the brick sill to be 3/4" beyond the brick wall surface. This worked well, until the client wanted a brick frame at each jamb. This brick is a stacked course on either side of the window and sticks out from the brick wall 3/8".

When I use the exterior casing to do this, it is the thickness of the casing (brick) that now changes the depth that the sill sticks out from the face of the wall. In the dialog box, there is a little diagram that shows that the bottom of the sill depth is being referenced to the wall face. Noe all of my brick sills want to stick out 4" beyond the brick face. It does not matter what amount I put into that little diagram, the sill depth will not change. It will only change if I reduce the thickness of the exterior casing.
Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)
5 REPLIES 5
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Hi Todd,

Thank you very much for sharing the problem!

From the screenshots, I tried to reproduce it on the USA library, but I was able to put 3/8" on both the brick sill overhang and the outside casing thickness. I'm wondering if it's possible for you to make a small PLN containing the problem for a closer look?

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Hi Minh,

Here is the archived file with two walls and each window sill condition. It seems to change the brick sill depth when the outside casing is more than 3/4". Any small amount beyond 3/4" of increasing the casing thickness adds that much to the depth of the sill. I made mine 4 3/8" as a brick casing/return as a feature that sticks out beyond the wall face. See the two compared in 3D.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1JYQ-FOczfKEQiZPTIARTaGpY8Dfw-Cuu?usp=sharing

Todd Oeftger
AC27 Mac MacBook Pro 15", 2019, 2.3 GHz i9, 32GB, Radeon Pro 560X 4GB, 500GB SSD, 32" Samsung Display (2560x1440)

Hi Todd,

Thank you very much for the file! It clarifies my understanding of this issue.

I think it could be a bug with this feature, but to make sure, I will have our colleagues investigate further. Once we have the conclusion I will let you know!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Dear Todd,

Thank you very much for your patience!

We were informed that this issue is a defect with the USA library. 

There is a limitation in the code that sill nosing (overhang measured from a wall plane) cannot be less than the thickness of outside casing, in case the casing fits into the outer plan of the wall. This issue can be fixed in an update for the USA Library.

Unfortunately, as of now there is no easy solution as a workaround. I am very sorry for the inconvenience! Please let us know if you have any further questions!

Thank you once again for the bug report, this is a great catch!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
GRAPHISOFT

Thanks for looking into this and getting back with me.

I think the USA window and door library and tool settings need a deep overhaul. I would like to see a single object that could be a fixed, double-hung, casement, awning or whatever multiple combinations in a user defined grid. Then if I place all fixed windows of certain sizes, I can change them on the fly with a right-click option to select any widow type (DH, Casement...) And I can do that to any individual unit in the grid. As it is now, the triple Casement unit with transoms have Awning windows in the transom. Why? I would never do that I use fixed only as transoms. But that is not an option in the Library.

Also the User Interface could be much better and simpler.

Todd Oeftger