BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Building material intersection error

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, I'm getting a weird behavior from the building materials. I've created 2 materials. 18 cm Concrete with 600 in priority and a 2 cm Pavement with 0 priority. The idea is obviously that the concrete walls will always go through the slabs (which use this materials) and the material will look correctly. The problem is that in order for the concrete to actually go through the 2cm floor it must go over it (I'm sorry if this sounds weird, english is not my main language and I'm having a little trouble trying to explain this.) If the wall ends right at the level of the floor, it will not "cut through" it. This is very annoying and I don't know if this is a bug or there's an option or checkbox I'm missing. With columns using the same material as the walls there's no trouble at all, but walls are giving me this issue

this is how it SHOULD look, but it only happens if the wall goes beyond the top side of the slab.

this is how it looks when the top side of the wall ends at the same place than the top side of the slab

I'm using Archicad 19 build 3003 on an iMac on Yosemite 10.10.4

Any help would be greatly appreciated
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, It may not be a weird behavior, because it make sense that if you have a floor with a finishing material on top, you don't want the wall that is coming from the lower floor to cut your floor finishing, that is why AC does that. If you want to have that section cut and shown on 3d, try making a slab with the material of the wall and put it in there at the same level than the other slab, but only with the finishing Material Thickness (2cm) and then make a Subtract with SEO.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, if the slab had no wall on top, it wouldn't be a problem, but in this case

it means I have to have all my walls at -0,02 m under the story level (instead of having it at story level) so I can get the correct effect. It shouldn't be that way, it should intersect correctly the way I'm trying to do, but unfortunately I checked on Archicad 17 and 18 and it's the same, so it's not a bug on archicad 19. It's something Graphisoft should fix
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, I just try it to see what happens, and it happens the same to me, It looks like the logic is that when a core element ends straight with a finishing, the finishing prevail or something like that. What I would do,(depending on your design) is one of two things:
1 - I will make the wall attached to the next floor on top instead of two walls one on top of another, or
2 - I will make two separate slabs instead of one.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yeah, I finally lowered the walls 2 cm so the intersection looks right and all the doors and windows sill to story instead of wall base. Still, I think Graphisoft should add an option or something, it's kinda annoying that you have to find a solution for something that shouldn't be a problem in the first place.

Thanks for the replies!
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Have you tried selecting the wall and slab and using the Edit>Reshape>Adjust Elements to Slabs... command?

Cheers,
Link.
Learn and get certified!