BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Bullnose Wall Object

Anonymous
Not applicable
Quick question for all of you out there. I just discovered the bullnose object for corners of walls. There is a lot of that here in California so it is nice to see (was it there before? - oops just found it in AC7 also)

I can see how to use it on a wall or for the walls where a window is located (it really threw me for a while when I couldn't find it as an object only to realize that it might be a window object!) but is there a recommended way to use it to soften up a corner wall?

Regards
Phil Feinberg
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
pfeinberg wrote:
is there a recommended way to use it to soften up a corner wall?
Perhaps Hari Har or someone else working with adobe or similar homes has a trick to share.

The only thing I can think of for general bullnosing is an extrusion that is used with solid element ops as a trimming object. (We still cannot fillet walls … but even if we could, that wouldn’t solve window and door details.)

The bullnose object is in 8.1 under 04 Masonry 81 \ Wall Ends 81 and is used with the new Wall End tool. It merely rounds the end of a wall; doesn’t help with corners.

There’s a minor bug in the script for the object. If you change the 3D resolution to 4, you get a beveled wall end (similar in fact to the “Wall End Pointed” object) … but the plan representation still shows a smooth curve – see the attached image.

See you at ACUWest in Pomona in March?

Karl
bullnose.gif
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
pfeinberg wrote:
Quick question for all of you out there. I just discovered the bullnose object for corners of walls. ... is there a recommended way to use it to soften up a corner wall?
I had three encounters with the adobe-type designs (first time, last time and never again) and, as it was 6.5, we did not even have bullnosing.

What was done then, was modeling every joint of any number of walls with the polygonal wall. Plus profiling all the wall/ceiling joints.

Duh ...

There is no way I see to use it at the corner, and if you have more than one wall joining in an adobe type joint, then the only cure still is the polygonal wall with curved edges. MUCH easier to do now in 8.1, speed notwithstanding ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks to Karl and Djordje.

I had created a custom object at one point to create the same Adobe (?) look (curve joining the walls in a La Jolla home to its ceiling). Didn't know that is what it was called. Will have to look at the Poly wall for this but I am not sure it is worth the effort for this requirement.
Learn and get certified!