Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

COMPLEX PROFILES - MODULES

toofuerte
Contributor
I am having problems with complex profiles and with modules. I have modules that I am bringing into a central file and several modules uses the same profile, however as I update the modules I end up with many copies of the complex profile. and then when I try to consolidate the profiles the profiles are not found in the model so rather than the profile I just get a rectangle of concrete or bricks. I am trying to use attribute manager to try to consolidate the source to make it work. What is going to be the best way to manage that?
Gerald Acton "Gary"

Acton Design Services

Windows 10 PRO 64 bit

i7-5820K @ 3.30ghz 32GB Ram

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Ram

AC 19 - AC 26
9 REPLIES 9
Barry Kelly
Complex profiles are attributes (as you have already gathered).
Archicad refers to the attribute via the attribute index number (that you can only see in the Attribute Manager) and not by the name.
If the same profile has been created with the same name in different modules, it can possibly have different attribute numbers - which seems to be the case here.
So as you bring the modules into the main file it will appear that you have multiple profiles in the main file - same name but with a number in brackets at the end on the name (or they may have different names if they were saved with different names).
The module files will only contain the profiles they had in the first place.

In the main file you can delete the duplicate profiles in the Profile Manager - make sure you REPLACE them with the one you want to keep.
This way you should end up with one profile with the correct name and it will have a particular index number.

You can now export this attribute and then import it (via Attribute Manager) into the module files.
But you must import it and overwrite BY NAME so that the attribute number changes in the module file.
You need to do this for all of the module files - so they all have the same profile with the same name and most importantly the same attribute number.

Now when you add the module to your main files you will have just the one complex profile attribute.

The short story is if you create a complex profile in one module (or file) then you need to import/export it with the Attribute Manager to all of the other files you might need it in - rather than re-create it in each file.
If you copy and paste a placed complex profile from one file to another, the attribute numbers can change.

The same applies to all other attributes - lines, layers, fills, composites, etc.
You need to be careful to keep all of the attributes the same (index numbers) across all files that you intend to use as modules , merge or copy and paste between.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
toofuerte
Contributor
Thanks Barry!

I guess I wasn't considering the unique identifiers for each attribute.
Gerald Acton "Gary"

Acton Design Services

Windows 10 PRO 64 bit

i7-5820K @ 3.30ghz 32GB Ram

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Ram

AC 19 - AC 26
furtonb
Advisor
pre-AC24 this is a real pain to do if you didn't consider this in your workflow before intertwining the project with modules.

in AC24 attribute reindexing can spare you some grey hair for later:

odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
LucaP
Enthusiast
Hi,

There is also one thing to keep in mind regarding the attributes when working on modules.

Even if you keep track of the indexes and names of the attributes, when you import a module into host file it imports the "current state" of the imported attribute. After importing a module, when you make changes in it (let's say you edit a complex profile) and the name and index stays the same, and then you update that module in the host file, Archicad will not update the properties of it (meaning the shape of a profile or used BMs). Therefore, when working on modules, you should use Attributes Manager to keep all the attributes updated throughout your whole project files (via Import/Export option).

Note: you can import attributes straight from a .pln file, without exporting to .xml
Łukasz Pietraszko
ArchiCAD 26 PL, since AC20 | WIN 10 Home
Intel Core i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB | 500 GB SSD
Tim Ball
Expert
I use a workflow that holds the source of the mod files on a different storey, but in the same file, and then use publisher to generate the mod file. That way all attributes are the same and you avoid the problems you have found. You can set up publisher to export only the storey you want to a mod file and its really easy to do the updates
Tim Ball

AC26, iMac

User since V5
furtonb
Advisor
This might be interesting to read on this topic:
[Link deleted by Moderator]

The internal hotlinks are useful, but beware of a possible slowdown in certain versions:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62731&p=294375&hilit=slow+hotlink#p294375
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Furtonb,

The link you provided points to a Graphisoft Workflow Guide that is not a public material, it is a material people pay for using/learning on the Graphisoft Learn Portal. I have to warn you not to share such materials again publicly. I have deleted the link.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
furtonb
Advisor
I was trying to help OP, I copied the second link from a Google search.
Very private, indeed.

[Image removed by moderator]

You can delete this screenshot too, as it exposes extremely valuable and well protected company resources after all...
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Well, I understand that you tried to help. But you being sarcastic does not change the fact that the material is for SSA customers as the link indicates (clients with Subscription Service Agreement). Of course, it is GS UK's duty to protect that material from unauthorized access so I will let them know so they can do something about it.

I have removed the screenshot.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27