BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Can a kind person create a small tutorial for using IES light? :)

Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
How to model the actual bulb, strip or whatevere and give it a surface material and also placing of the IES-light.
Would be really helpful.
/M
AC 25 SWE Full

HP Zbook Fury 15,6 G8. 32 GB RAM. Nvidia RTX A3000.
5 REPLIES 5
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
1. You need to have the IES file in your project library.
2. Use the IES light object and pick the file you put in the library.
3. Profit?

The lamp body / armature can be part of the IES file or it can be just the light properties, depending on what the manufacturer put there. There is a setting to use the 3D model (if it's there) or to only use the light. Not sure if you can properly assign surfaces to the 3D model if it is there, so you might want to see if they offer another 3D format to import the body / armature.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Erwin wrote:
1. You need to have the IES file in your project library.
2. Use the IES light object and pick the file you put in the library.
3. Profit?

The lamp body / armature can be part of the IES file or it can be just the light properties, depending on what the manufacturer put there. There is a setting to use the 3D model (if it's there) or to only use the light. Not sure if you can properly assign surfaces to the 3D model if it is there, so you might want to see if they offer another 3D format to import the body / armature.
1 and 2 yes. There is one IES in the default lib. (maybe it came with the Corona installation). I did some tests and it all good but I want to create the physical lamp....like in the attach. I don't understand how to build it.
AC 25 SWE Full

Do IES files actually refer to the illuminating properties of the fixture itself, or are they created for the bulbs in a fixture?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
If a manufacturer of the armature provides IES files they can contain the 3D model or only the light properties. However, I'm not sure if you have much control over the surfaces if you enable the 3D model (when provided).

For the picture shown: if the manufacturer has IES file available, that would be your starting point.

To create it yourself:
1. create a diffuse glass surface (there will probably be a preset available in the cinerender materials)
2. draw the shape with archicad 3D tools
3. stuff a general light source in there and tweak settings to get close

I'm not very experienced with interior renders, so hopefully someone who is can provide some more detailed tips.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Mats_Knutsson
Advisor
Erwin wrote:
If a manufacturer of the armature provides IES files they can contain the 3D model or only the light properties. However, I'm not sure if you have much control over the surfaces if you enable the 3D model (when provided).

For the picture shown: if the manufacturer has IES file available, that would be your starting point.

To create it yourself:
1. create a diffuse glass surface (there will probably be a preset available in the cinerender materials)
2. draw the shape with archicad 3D tools
3. stuff a general light source in there and tweak settings to get close

I'm not very experienced with interior renders, so hopefully someone who is can provide some more detailed tips.
Thanks. Will try that. We will evaluate Corona vs ArtLantis 7 (we have floating 5 but almost noone is using it). /M
AC 25 SWE Full

Learn and get certified!