Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Can full and education AC versions coexist on same PC?

emirefek
Participant

Hello I'm an architecture student in university. I need to use Archicad EDU for my school projects and my own Archicad sandboxes. Sometims in intern I needed to use commercial license of the office. How can I do it on the same pc?

How can I use commercial license in days and EDU license in nights? In same Windows 11 PC.

Any tips? There is another thread for MAC but Mac and Windows is not same. Now working when I try to do it like on the MacOS. Thread about 2 license same time in MacOS.

5 REPLIES 5
Eduardo Rolon

Yes. Install each into different folders.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Design-forum/commercial-and-educational-on-same-machine/m-p/2728...

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

It's not possible to install Archicad 2 times in Windows PC. Installer doing registery check before start and if installer founds already installed Archicad it asks about do you want repair or uninstall, not asking about if you want second installation.

Eduardo Rolon

Then you only need to install the commercial version since that one opens EDU files without issues and can save them. FYI it will not convert a file from EDU to Commercial .

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator

@emirefek wrote:

It's not possible to install Archicad 2 times in Windows PC. Installer doing registery check before start and if installer founds already installed Archicad it asks about do you want repair or uninstall, not asking about if you want second installation.

Installing multiple versions on the same PC is possible, just rename the program folder before you install the next version.

I do this often, but must admit I have not tried installing the EDU version with commercial ones.

BarryKelly_0-1643588137403.png

I am sure that can be done though - I recall there are other posts here about running EDU and commercial at the same time.

Also as Eduardo has said, opening an EDU file with a commercial licence will force the commercial version to run in EDU mode and the file will remain EDU.

You just won't be able to start a new EDU file without the EDU version - but is that a problem?

I am not sure if you create a new commercial file, then open it at university with an EDU license, does it switch the file to EDU?

If so there is no problem at all.

But if EDU can not open a commercial file at all - that may be an issue if you need to create new files.

Unless you can create them with an EDU license on another machine first.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Eduardo Rolon

EDU can open commercial. What I have done is to have one AC installed and keep a copy of my template saved from an EDU file so If I am sharing a file with my students they don't get "scared" of the EDU warning when they open a regular file.

Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

another Moderator