Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Can not delete or modify curtain wall mullions

Jere
Expert
I'm using the curtain wall to model some wood panelling on the interior of a building. When the curtain is used for straight sections, there's no problems at all. When i curve the curtain wall (in plan, the whole thing is vertical) then I can't delete the mullions (vertical.) I can do anything I want to the transoms (horizontals.)

The frames are all generic frames for editing (i'll change them to invisible for my final drawings.)

Any ideas? Anyone else run into this problem?

cw test.jpg
ArchiCAD 26-5002; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1660
12 REPLIES 12
Jere
Expert
Attached is a .mod file of my project. In the image above, the wall on the right is a straight wall with the final look I'm trying to achieve (different sized, but modular wood panels.) To do this, I set up the curtainwall scheme setting to a 16" x 16" grid. From there, by deleting frame members I quickly came up with a pattern I liked. I'm trying to do the exact same thing with a curved curtainwall using the same settings (wall on left.)
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Jere:

I am not an expert with this tool, but I got the same results you did. I was able to delete the horizontals, but not the verticals. I was only able to delete a vertical by straightening the curved section, deleting the vertical, then recurving the segment. Yes, a workaround.

This is an interesting use of the tool.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Jere
Expert
Thanks for trying at least. With this project, the radii are large (38' feet or so)[11.5m], but with smaller radii it would be very difficult as straightening it would remove many of the gridlines.
Erika Epstein
Booster
You can instead select the vertical members of the curved wall while it is curved and set all values to zero.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Jere
Expert
What do mean set all values you zero? Which values? The mullion width and depth? Thanks for your help.
Erika Epstein
Booster
yes.
1. use marquee and Find& Select to select in one step all vert members
2. open settings box and change values to 0;Note that 'h' must be set to zero before the 'b' value or b won't change.
I changed horiz members in this same manner, don't know if that is what youwanted. This preserves the separate vert. panels if that is what is wanted. If only one panel vertically, then you can delete the horiz. frame members.
2 find & select vert.jpg
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Erika Epstein
Booster
step 2
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

Erika Epstein
Booster
result
2 wood paneling.jpg
Erika
Architect, Consultant
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Jere wrote:
With this project, the radii are large (38' feet or so)[11.5m], but with smaller radii it would be very difficult as straightening it would remove many of the gridlines.
I can see some logic behind not being able to delete mullions (vertical) on curved walls, the consequences are more obvious with small radii. Should the resulting panel chord (span) between the remaining mullions, or should it break where the mullion was removed? This same issue also exists for the upper and lower transom frames. Not so important (but an issue) in Jere's use, but a dilemma for a typical curtain wall system.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14