BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Project data & BIM
About BIM-based management of attributes, schedules, templates, favorites, hotlinks, projects in general, quality assurance, etc.

Can someone tell me where this setting is?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to have my tools default to a certain layer and pen weight, etc. My line tool always opens to a layer I don't want it to. I want it to default to a certain layer and found the information in the help menu explaining it but can't figure out where the settings are. See attached image.

Thank you!
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

Look up favourites in the help guide. All you need to do is create a favourite and it will capture these settings.
Barry Kelly
Steven,
The image you attached has nothing to do with default settings for the tools.
This is the default settings for the lables (if you are to use them) for each type of element.

As George said the best thing is to set up favourites for each of the tools.
You can set up multiple favourites for different situations.
i.e. lines in text layer with arrow heads, dashed lines in the electrical layer, solid black line in detail layer, etc.
The same goes for walls, roofs, beams, text, dimensions, etc.

The only other thing you can do is to set the defaults fot the tolls when you save your template.
So when you start a new job each tool is set to what you would use it for first.
But of course once you change the settings they stay changed and don't default back.

Oh and if you don't like favourites you can add visual favourites to your template.
Samples of what you want to the side of your plan that you can ALT click (OPTION for Mac?) to change your tools to those settings.
These samples can also be saved as modules that you can bring in to any other file.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Some add-ons also keep resetting the default layers for the line tool. Quite annoying I think.
Learn and get certified!